Thread: Grizzly G0555X vs G0457 bandsaws

Grizzly G0555X vs G0457 bandsaws

I am in the market for a bandsaw. I was looking at the popular Grizzly G0555X with the riser kit to allow for larger resew capabilities. The G0555 models have received a lot of favorable reviews and I know it would handle my meager needs.

However, I noticed they are having a sale on the G0457 with free shipping so the ultimate cost difference to me between it and the G0555X is around $100.00. I would gain an additional 1/2 horsepower. I would lose 2 inches of resew capability over the G0555 with the riser kit but don't see that as an issue for my requirements.

The little guy standing on my shoulder is whispering to just get the G0457 and be done with it since the $100 increase over the G0555X is not an issue for me. But I know the G0555 models far outsell the G0457 and in fact their salesmen say they sell tons of them and rarely the G0457.

I am wondering if that is merely because of the cost difference of several hundred without any incentives like the free shipping they are offering now or if there have been some inherent problems with the G0457 that I haven't read about?

For any of you that have had experience with either or both I would love to hear your opinions. Am I overthinking this like I do most purchases? Knowing that the $100.00 difference is not an issue what which would you choose?

I cannot move up to the 513 line of Grizzly's because i am a guy in a wheelchair and they are one solid piece. The G0555 and G0497 come in two parts (base and saw). I was planning on creating my own rolling base that will lower the table height appropriately for my use.

I have read a lot of reviews and the Rikon and Laguna models are always in the top few with Laguna 14-12 topping most. I should give them a call and see if the base is removable. Or if anyone here has one feel free to chime in.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-25-2016 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Shewmake View Post

I have read a lot of reviews and the Rikon and Laguna models are always in the top few with Laguna 14-12 topping most. I should give them a call and see if the base is removable. Or if anyone here has one feel free to chime in.
    I know 100% the Laguna base is removable since it does not come assembled on the base. I think the Rikon is easily removable also. Note the Rikon is a much better saw than it was since they upgraded the guides, the old version (10-325?) has very finniky guides and it let the overall saw down.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 10-24-2016 at 6:48 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I can only offer an opinion on one of the two mentioned saws... I purchased the Grizzly 457 (my first and only bandsaw) several years ago and can say now I could not be happier. I did have an issue with the first saw I received, after several calls to tech support and some help from Papa Griz it was determined to be a mfg defect and a completely new saw was shipped. (No addtl shipping or return shipping costs to me - amazing customer support). The second saw has worked flawlessly since setting it up. In fact I spent about 2 hours straight this past Saturday resawing on this machine without a single issue. I find it powerful, versatile, easy to adjust, and has handled anything I have tried to do with it so far. I often go from 1/8" to 3/4" blades to support my many projects and feel like it has grown along side me in this woodworking journey I am on. I have located the bandsaw on a mobile base right next to my 1023 TS so that I can swap out a single 220 line with ease. The only thing I wish I could figure out is how to remove the table without removing the blade- it would be easier to adjust upper and lower bearings with no table in the middle.

TomD

Quote Originally Posted by Tom DiBiasio View Post
    I can only offer an opinion on one of the two mentioned saws... I purchased the Grizzly 457 (my first and only bandsaw) several years ago and can say now I could not be happier. I did have an issue with the first saw I received, after several calls to tech support and some help from Papa Griz it was determined to be a mfg defect and a completely new saw was shipped. (No addtl shipping or return shipping costs to me - amazing customer support). The second saw has worked flawlessly since setting it up. In fact I spent about 2 hours straight this past Saturday resawing on this machine without a single issue. I find it powerful, versatile, easy to adjust, and has handled anything I have tried to do with it so far. I often go from 1/8" to 3/4" blades to support my many projects and feel like it has grown along side me in this woodworking journey I am on. I have located the bandsaw on a mobile base right next to my 1023 TS so that I can swap out a single 220 line with ease. The only thing I wish I could figure out is how to remove the table without removing the blade- it would be easier to adjust upper and lower bearings with no table in the middle.

TomD
    Thank you for the reply. I have been in contact with several Grizzly employees regarding my abnormal requirements due to disability and have to say they have gone far and beyond with respect to getting answers for my questions. Their stellar customer service reputation is well deserved.

I am glad to hear your positive experiences with this saw.

I don't own either band saw from Grizzly, but do have both types (a 15 amp Delta clone with riser and a 20 amp Bulgarian made steel spine, both 14" and with similar specs to the Grizzly models you're looking at. I have 12" of resaw with the riser, but anything over 6" is marginal no matter what I do (though that could be the user!!). On the steel spine, going the full 10" gets a cut the same as if I was resawing 4" height, and no strain on the motor. I don't think my orange clone has as much mass as the G0555x--which may contribute as well. I would view the table size and cast trunnions on the G0457 as additional benefits. Side benefit--I could see more "other uses" for the stand under the G0457 than the G0555 stand--since you're going to build lower!! That G0457 stand has a slightly bigger footprint to repurpose from.

Just my experience...yours may vary.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    I don't own either band saw from Grizzly, but do have both types (a 15 amp Delta clone with riser and a 20 amp Bulgarian made steel spine, both 14" and with similar specs to the Grizzly models you're looking at. I have 12" of resaw with the riser, but anything over 6" is marginal no matter what I do (though that could be the user!!). On the steel spine, going the full 10" gets a cut the same as if I was resawing 4" height, and no strain on the motor. I don't think my orange clone has as much mass as the G0555x--which may contribute as well. I would view the table size and cast trunnions on the G0457 as additional benefits. Side benefit--I could see more "other uses" for the stand under the G0457 than the G0555 stand--since you're going to build lower!! That G0457 stand has a slightly bigger footprint to repurpose from.

Just my experience...yours may vary.
    earl
    Thank you for the thought out reply. My thinking somewhat parallels your experience. I was thinking the G0497 would be more sturdy than the G0555X with the riser. I will definitely use the base as some kind of cabinet. Heck it might even turn out to be a good height for a bench top drill press for me. Well see.

Again, I really appreciate the response from an actual experience perspective.

Craig

I haven't had the chance to compare the Grizzly 14" saw to the Rikon or Laguna saws, so I'll defer to your knowledge there. But Van does have a good point that Grizzly's 17" bandsaws seem to be a better value than the G0457. Compared to the the Go457, the G0513x2, for example, has the same size motor, 2" more resaw height, greater cut width, 3" larger wheels, a larger table, more weight, and it costs about $50 less. (Although there is free shipping on the G0457 right now.) I prefer the type of trunnions used on the G0457, so for me that would be the only advantage is has over the G0513x2. And even that's debatable because I've never heard any complaints here about the cast iron trunnion used in the 17" saw. But it's entirely possible that there are some advantages to the G0457 that I've missed. I'm happy to learn more if that's the case.

I'm glad to hear that the OP has been getting some excellent help from Grizzly about which bandsaw will work best for him. I'm not surprised, because I've always been very impressed with Grizzly's customer service, including Shiraz taking the time to post on this forum.

--Geoff
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-25-2016 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    I haven't had the chance to compare the Grizzly 14" saw to the Rikon or Laguna saws, so I'll defer to your knowledge there. But Van does have a good point that Grizzly's 17" bandsaws seem to be a better value than the G0457. Compared to the the Go457, the G0513x2, for example, has the same size motor, 2" more resaw height, greater cut width, 3" larger wheels, a larger table, more weight, and it costs about $50 less. (Although there is free shipping on the G0457 right now.) I prefer the type of trunnions used on the G0457, so for me that would be the only advantage is has over the G0513x2. And even that's debatable because I've never heard any complaints here about the cast iron trunnion used in the 17" saw. But it's entirely possible that there are some advantages to the G0457 that I've missed. I'm happy to learn more if that's the case.

I'm glad to hear that the OP has been getting some excellent help from Grizzly about which bandsaw will work best for him. I'm not surprised, because I've always been very impressed with Grizzly's customer service, including Shiraz taking the time to post on this forum. And to be honest I imagine any of the aforementioned saws will most likely be more than adequate for my meager needs.

--Geoff
    No doubt you make great points here with respect to the G0513x2 but unfortunately that saw is not doable for me due to table height considerations. I'm pretty much limited to saws with separable bases so I can make my own to lower it regardless of manufacturer. Thanks for your input.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Shewmake; 10-24-2016 at 9:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    IMHO, In bandsaws, cars and stereo systems there's rarely a substitute for raw horsepower :-)

Personally, I'm grateful for both opinions. I've benefited from the input from each!

I owned the G0555. It was a fine saw, but I found it a little under sized for me for cutting green wood turning blanks and resaws more than 6" - even with the riser. The saw didn't have enough mass to resist some movement under heavier loads.

I very much appreciate the big mass of a my larger 19" saw. So, I would say if the G0457 has more mass than the G0555x, then I'd go for that.