Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making Shoji

That is lovely work indeed, Brian. I haven't yet found a way to integrate that style into our home but I do admire it and your ability to execute it faithfully.

And since I can make no other contribution to this thread except annoying pedantry, I'll offer that the plural of genus is genera.
    Last edited by Brett Luna; 10-28-2016 at 6:48 PM. Reason: del: "the"
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Brett!

Haha, I will use that from now on.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Luna View Post
    And since I can make no other contribution to the this thread except annoying pedantry, I'll offer that the plural of genus is genera.
    How dare you resort to pedantry on an INTERNET DISCUSSION FORUM!

Brian; you shouldn't feel to guilty if you decide to add some power tools to make your work a little easier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wjUt9REr-o

Stewie;

Pat raises a good point. As I get a bit older, certain tasks are taking a toll on the joints. At some point, you start to weigh wear and tear on the joints with electron use. Brian, as you get more and more commissioned work (which I'm sure you will), speed of build and protecting your joints for the long run could certainly justify - and someday may even require - a bit more power in the shop.

Blog Entries
    Hah, I think it'll be a long way before using that much power Stewie! Cool shop though, I bet most of the danish makers are identical to that, at this point + a spoke shave.

Phil, I am not in a hurry to mechanize, but I may add some machinery as the time comes to allow myself to compete for commercial specialty work, like live edge counter tops and other special wood projects. While I enjoy working in my current location, my aim is a small stand alone shop and a few good people, but that is many years from now.

Excellent work ! MOST excellent picture quality!! But,BE SURE to keep KIDS away from those screens. That include's other people's teenagers!!

Blog Entries
    I have a large jar of homemade rice glue I made a year or so ago. I would have sent some. Beautiful work.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Excellent work ! MOST excellent picture quality!! But,BE SURE to keep KIDS away from those screens. That include's other people's teenagers!!
    Thanks George! Very much appreciated! Absolutely, Henry boy is quickly guided away from the shoji. I'll build more of these for around the house, but will chose either paper, glass or wood backing depending on what area of the house that they cover. Not straight away as I'm doing some paying projects, but soon as I slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I have a large jar of homemade rice glue I made a year or so ago. I would have sent some. Beautiful work.
    Thank you! Oh cool, are you building shoji as well?

Don't limit yourself Brian. You may be surprised at how quickly your customers push you toward that long range goal. Of course if you like it just the way it is, no reason to hurry along.

Running a business with employees is a whole other skill set. Some never take to the change as your days are spent differently when you have to cover overhead.

The beauty of being self employed is you get to decide what is right for you at any given time. It just may not take as long as you think to get there. So if that is your dream I say go for it

Blog Entries
    I appreciate the encouragement! I've seen many different and successful approaches that I've been studying, I see how guys like Maloof ran their shops and it seemed pretty enjoyable.