Thread: Delta Inverter Programming

Delta Inverter Programming

I have owned a Jet 1642 EVS lathe for several years and have spent many enjoyable hours turning. A month or so ago I turned the lathe on and nothing happened. Long story short, the Delta VFD015S Inverter had bit the dust. Contacted Jet and their price for a new unit was over $600. I was able to find an exact replacement considerably cheaper. The caveat was when the new one arrived it was programmed with "factory default" parameters. I contacted Jet to get the parameters for the Inverter and was told very rudely that they would not provide the parameters since I did not purchase their Inverter. Needless to say I was quite disappointed in Jets position and especially with the rudeness shown.
    My question now is whether anyone has a copy of the parameters for this lathe/inverter and if they would be willing to share them. I'm capable of programming the Inverter provided I know the proper parameters.

Thanks,
    Bill
    <dl><dt>The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.</dt><dd class="author"></dd><dt>US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)</dt></dl>

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nord View Post
    ...My question now is whether anyone has a copy of the parameters for this lathe/inverter and if they would be willing to share them. I'm capable of programming the Inverter provided I know the proper parameters.

Bill,

I once went through all the parameters in the inverter on one of my Jet 1642 lathes and wrote in the Delta manual every parameter where different from the default. Assuming I can put my hands on the manual in the morning, I can send you the parameter list. (unless someone beats me to it - maybe someone has these in a file)

Jet has the worst customer service. It was a pain to get a replacement capacitor for one of my Jet mini lathes. And they charged me about 6 times what the capacitor was worth.

I'd like to know where you found the good deal on the replacement. The VFD died on one of my Jets and I replaced it with a cheap one but I'd rather have the Delta.

JKJ

Thanks for the reply John.
    After looking many hours, it became evident that the bulk of Delta inverters available came from China since they are manufactured there. Really wanted a local (USA) vendor but ended up purchasing one from China for ~$200 - new, sealed in the box. Here is a url with info:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...s&_sacat=78192
    Hope you're able to find the parameter settings because my lathe misses me!
    Bill
    <dl><dt>The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.</dt><dd class="author"></dd><dt>US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)</dt></dl>

Parameters for Delta VFD-S for Jet 1642

Jet 1642 VFD parameters Delta VFD-S series, 115 volt version
    (I made a note in my manual that this is VFD0075S11A style as shown on pg c-12)

These three parameters are read-only, perhaps are hardwired
    0-00 4 (identity code, read only)
    0-01 4.2 (capacity in amps, read only)
    0-06 2.3 (software version, read only)

These are the parameters different from the defaults
    All other parameters are set to factory defaults according to the Delta manual

1-00 132 Max output frequency
    1-01 60.0 Max voltage frequency
    1-03 5.0 Mid-point frequency
    1-04 20.0 Mid-point voltage
    1-05 5.0 Min output frequency
    1-06 20.0 Min output voltage
    1-09 5.0 Acceleration time
    1-10 5.00 Deceleration time

2-00 1 Master freq determined by analog signal 0v-10v
    Position of jumper J1: top two pins for voltage signal input
    2-01 2 Operation, keyboard stop disabled

4-09 1 Enable line start lockout

6-00 0 Disable over-voltage stall prevention
    6-01 390 for 230v series (should be factory setting)
    6-08 1 Present fault record: over-currrent
    6-09 1 Second most recent fault: over-current
    6-10 1 Third most recent fault: over-current

7-00 120 Motor rated current
    -----end-----

John,
    I really want to thank you for the parameter info. I will input these parameters this weekend and let you know how it works out. Again, thanks.
    Bill

John,
    I programmed the VFD this weekend and except for a minor problem which was worked out, the lathe is back in operation. Thanks for your assistance.
    Bill

John,
    I programmed the VFD this weekend and except for a minor problem which was worked out, the lathe is back in operation. Thanks for your assistance.
    Bill
    Excellent. If the "minor problem" was due to an error in one of my numbers, let me know and I'll fix my notes.

JKJ

After looking many hours, it became evident that the bulk of Delta inverters available came from China since they are manufactured there. Really wanted a local (USA) vendor but ended up purchasing one from China for ~$200 - new, sealed in the box.

Bill
    Bill, for what its worth....

I've got about 8 VFDs in my shop, and originally had various different brands. For the same reasons as you, I looked for North American brands.
    My search was disappointing:
    - lousy customer service
    - unreadable manuals
    - sky high prices (one tried to charge me $85 for a "remote extension cable" - its a $5 LAN patch cable)

MAYBE the quality is better, but my usage is not at a level where I can tell the difference.

Admittedly, these all aim at the "professional" or "commercial" needs. So installation by an industrial certified electrician, used under precise standards etc.
    None of which applies to our needs. Certainly not mine.

What we are looking for is the "pro-sumer" segment. Which most North American suppliers ignore, likely due to lower margins.
    And the Chinese really excel at that segment.

So back to Asian suppliers and eBay I went.
    For me the biggest differentiator was the quality of the User Manual. My shop is nowhere near any "industrial certified" electrician. Bringing one out there is cost prohibitive.

For those reasons, my search became very narrow: Delta!
    They are the only ones (that I've found) that have such great manuals that I can do the hook-up and programming myself.

As for quality....Well I have 5 of them in my shop, all used, all from eBay, and not one issue amongst them.
    I can't say the same for the Leeson VFD that installed. It (literally) went up in a puff of (capacitor) smoke....Now try and get that fixed...

Olaf
    Last edited by Olaf Vogel; 11-02-2016 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Vogel View Post
    For me the biggest differentiator was the quality of the User Manual.
    When the VFD on one of my Jet 1642 lathes died the permanent death I replaced it with this one: http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/9675-KBDF-27D/
    (It was cheaper this time last year.) This was recommended by woodturner Harvey Meyer based on his experience.

The manual seemed clear enough to me, not much different from the Delta manual. A lot of the parameters had the same names which helped.

JKJ