Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building Federal Style Table Part 5 – Apron String Inlay and Apron Assembly

I don't post much but definitely a nice build by any standard.

Mike, you amaze and inspire me...but I think you already know that. This federal table is remarkable....I've seen your work and knew you were capable of this kind of precision work and it is real great to see your step by step builds. Please don't stop posting...it would be a grey loss to all of us at the creek!

Don

Beautiful work!

Really fine woodworking. Love those inlays. Very inspirational work.

Just a question. The wood looks like mahogany? What type of mahogany is it?

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys for the feedback and suggestions about how I can improve my posts so there more readable/user-friendly. I'm going to put those ideas into practice.

I'm embarrassed I mentioned anything about views/comments. Only now in retrospect do I I realize how whiny and needy that sounds. Yikes – certainly not my finest hour. My apologies.

I've learned so much on the creek and have been inspired to try new skills by the many talented and generous Creekers to post here. My objective in posting any build thread is simply to pay that forward by sharing the "how-to" steps in a project in the hopes others will find it interesting and perhaps be encouraged to stretch a bit out of their comfort zone to try something new.

I think too often woodworkers can be intimidated by certain projects/skills they may see as beyond their capabilities, but if they were to give them a try they would find it's not nearly as hard as it looks. I've certainly been intimidated many times; looking at a piece of furniture in a magazine, book, Museum etc. and thinking "there's no way in a million years I could ever do something like that. Even if I did try it ,it seems like there's no room for error so why make the effort".

IMHO, I think there is always a way to recover from mistakes, even if they seem catastrophic at first blush. One of the pictures in my post above is of a front table leg where I sawed the bridle joint on the wrong face – yeah that's right, 90° off plan – big saw kerfs right down the middle of the show face, on a leg I spent more time than I care to admit doing the inlay. There is absolutely no way I'm throwing that leg out and starting over. I patched it, recut the joint and drove on. I'm willing to wager no one will ever notice it. I'm no expert (not by a long shot) – my simple point is if you try something new and screwed up, that's not the end of the world.

For example, the marquetry in this project was my first time with this skill. Did I think I could do it? – absolutely not. Did I make lots of mistakes – of course. Nonetheless I'm satisfied with the results.

For me, it feels good to think if there is another piece down the road I am interested in that calls for marquetry, it's not out of the question and next time it might be better.

Sorry for what seemed like probably a self-indulgent rant – that's not my intent. My main thought is I'm grateful for the SMC community and my purpose in posting is to, in some small way, contribute something of value to my fellow Creekers.

All best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    Excellent work. Superb and I've been around some excellent craftsmen. Aren't the inlays on the legs supposed to be burned? A pot of hot sand was the method I saw. (Did you know if you google (image) federal leg inlay a bunch of the pictures are yours?)
    Attachment 346410
    Hi John,

Thanks for your generous comments. You're absolutely right, the Holly Bellflower's are supposed to be "shaded" by heating them in hot sand. I believe the idea is the shading add some three-dimensional depth.

Regrettably, when I made these I had no idea how to do that so unshaded they are. By the time I got to the oval thistle inlays, and acquired a hotplate and sand and attempted to do some sand shading. Results were definitely mixed (only because I'm not very good at this).

I am the least tech savvy guy you're ever going to meet, so what's on the Internet is a mystery to me. I can assure you any images of federal leg inlays are not mine (I wish that were true!). I believe the one in your post is from Steve Latta's article in FWW.

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Mel, Marty, Phil, Stewie and Brian,

I am a huge fan of you you guys as individuals and your work. I I always look for your posts - you're very talented and I sincerely appreciate your comments.

Best, Mike

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    This is really nitpicking - but for me, I think fewer, smaller pix that you can see quicker without having to scroll down gives is easier to follow. I also look forward to the words and reflections of the author even more than the pix.

I would also keep all the "Parts" to a single thread. If I ever want to build this, it'd be nice to have it all in one continuous thread. Subconsciously, too, if I see a "Part 4" thread, and I haven't read Parts 1-3, then the investment of having to search out those parts is too much for me, the lazy viewer, so I hypothesize that picking up viewers later in the season becomes difficult if you start new threads for those episodes.

Anyway, I love the build, and have been following gratefully.

Prashun,

Thank you very much for your very insightful and completely reasonable suggestions. I'm definitely going to try to incorporate your feedback in my next post – thanks again! As I become more comfortable with the technology, it seems the pictures are easier, it's generating the descriptive tax that takes time. I agree with you, personally I'm mostly interested in hearing from the maker about how he approaches each step in the build process.

I sincerely appreciate all your contributions to SMC, and particularly enjoy your sense of humor and typically thoughtful comments.

I can't resist asking; are you a marketer, business owner, economist? Your insights about the SMC consumer experience seems spot on to me. None of my business, and no need to respond. My question was meant as a compliment.

Best regards, Mike

Well, Mike. Now that I have looked this over, I must go take some anti depressant meds. and call it a day. Nice work. Waaaaayyyyy above my level. I am not sure I could muster up that much patience. Best wishes.

I do hope you're happy with your work! Thanks for posting.

best
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Hi John...

I am the least tech savvy guy you're ever going to meet, so what's on the Internet is a mystery to me. I can assure you any images of federal leg inlays are not mine (I wish that were true!). I believe the one in your post is from Steve Latta's article in FWW.
    Cheers, Mike
    No, the images are yours. Pretty simple, click on the image and it brings me to your post here. You're famous! Google images is a great tool for us, great way to find stuff. Google a subject ("federal leg inlay") and when your results come up look near the top for the word "images" and click on it. You will get pictures instead of articles. Great way to steal ideas from other people. Latta's work is there but you are down the page a bit.
    Keep up the good work.

Mike: I always enjoy reading through your threads - as I do the work you post. I can't wait to see this completed with top and all... Lots of patience for all that inlay. Is this a first or have you done it before [not that your skills lack (quite the contrary) but I read that you weren't familiar with the sand-shading technique and hence the question]?

Michael, some of us out here ALWAYS read you posts . . . despite the fact we are humbled -but inspired too - by them. Don't sweat the numbers, the ones viewing are all solid supporters and admirers of your most excellent work.

Keep the faith; your skill set is impressive and your willingness to share is valued! Best regards, Patrick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Boulware View Post
    Mike,

Do you have any finish on the last few pictures or did it just pop like that on it's own? Incredible work!

Hi Will,

I really appreciate your feedback – glad you're enjoying the build thread.

In answer to your question, last couple pictures are after I started applying the finish.

I've had some epically bad experiences trying to finish work with lighter colored inlays in a darker background – dust from the darker background obscuring the inlay.

This time, I brushed a couple light coats shellac over the oval thistle and Bellflower inlays and then applied Watco oil varnish over everything, sanding with 600 grit sandpaper. I like the way the oil varnish mixture brings out the figure in the wood, and it's pretty foolproof to use.

My intent in sanding the oil varnish finish with 600 grit was to try and fill some of the open grain in the mahogany. I confess I really have no idea about anything related to filling the pores in open grain woods. I read somewhere that's what you're supposed to do and this seemed to work out OK. But please don't take my word for it, I know there are other Creekers who know a lot more about this than I do. I'm just happy to get through any finishing steps without catastrophe. So far so good, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

All the best, Mike