Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building Federal Style Table Part 5 – Apron String Inlay and Apron Assembly

Blog Entries

Building Federal Style Table Part 5 – Apron String Inlay and Apron Assembly

Based on views/ responses, seems not much interest in this thread. I’m totally cool with that. One of things I like best about SMC is community interest drives how many views/responses any individual post generates. Goodness knows, I have no vested interest and certainly don’t want to burn time/effort producing a thread that generates limited interest.

Accordingly, I’ve included pics below of the next stage of the build with limited comments. Please feel free to offer any questions/comments, as my primary motivation is to add value where I can.

All the best, Mike

]

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Mike, I admire the way you always have a project going and I follow all of them. You set a good example for over coming perceived set backs and moving forward.

Excellent work. Superb and I've been around some excellent craftsmen. Aren't the inlays on the legs supposed to be burned? A pot of hot sand was the method I saw. (Did you know if you google (image) federal leg inlay a bunch of the pictures are yours?)
    demilune_bellflower.jpg
    Last edited by John T Barker; 10-25-2016 at 11:40 PM.

Very impressive work. I've yet to achieve such level of craftsmanship with my inlays, but this is certainly inspiring me!
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

Very, very, well done, Mike. No doubt the Mrs will be proud to show that off.

Excellent work Mike. You have acquired the patience of a saint.

regards Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Less views often means there isn't anything to argue about, which is what drives views. I was initially disappointing to me to see that a post on sharpening stones would generate far more traffic than a post on actual woodwork, but it's just how it is.

In either case, the work is beautiful Mike! The table is really shaping up nicely and has a very elegant stance. I can't wait to see it with a top on.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I'm impressed with this project. Your pictorial really illustrates how painstakingly involved each step is. There are just so many details that make it intimidating and wonderfully executed.

I wouldn't be put off by the low number of views. This is really nitpicking - but for me, I think fewer, smaller pix that you can see quicker without having to scroll down gives is easier to follow. I also look forward to the words and reflections of the author even more than the pix.

I would also keep all the "Parts" to a single thread. If I ever want to build this, it'd be nice to have it all in one continuous thread. Subconsciously, too, if I see a "Part 4" thread, and I haven't read Parts 1-3, then the investment of having to search out those parts is too much for me, the lazy viewer, so I hypothesize that picking up viewers later in the season becomes difficult if you start new threads for those episodes.

Anyway, I love the build, and have been following gratefully.

Mike,

Please, please, PLEASE don't infer anything from a few low traffic numbers. Your posts are a regular source of grounding for me (and probably a lot of others here) as you are one of the few who step away from the threads on sharpening stones and sawstops and actually build things! I've read every one of your federal table posts so far and really appreciate the time and effort that goes into them. Many of us have built plenty of stuff but have never taken the time to post any of it. That said, we all enjoy a good build thread, and we really enjoy a GREAT one like this has been! Every build thread is a great learning opportunity, and I hope seeing yours will motivate more people to get out there and build things!

Do you have any finish on the last few pictures or did it just pop like that on it's own? Incredible work!

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Verrrry nice Mike - Very nice -

Dave B

There is also the "stunned silent" group of us. Incredible work. Thanks for posting it.