Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building Federal Style Table Part 5 – Apron String Inlay and Apron Assembly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dalzell View Post
    Just a question. The wood looks like mahogany? What type of mahogany is it?

Hi David,

Southern California is a desert and I'm always jealous of my fellow Creekers in areas where great domestic hardwoods are readily available, you know "my neighbor cut down a 200 deal-year-old Walnut tree on his property and now I have 500 board feet of awesome lumber".

This may be my one and only "wood gloat"; there is a local lumber yard here caters to the high and and instrument maker market (tropical exotic hardwoods of South America). They have awesome stuff but it's usually way out of my price range, nonetheless I dropped a fair amount of change there over the years.

The wood for this project was 40-year-old Cuban mahogany the a bought in an estate sale from a cabinetmaker who had passed away. I have no idea if that's true, but it didn't stop me from buying it for way more than I would ever admit to the LOML. (what said on the creek stays in the Creek – I'm holding you guys to that!). All I know it was a dream to work with and if I ever win the lottery, all by as much as I find!

Best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Slaughter View Post
    Mike, you amaze and inspire me...but I think you already know that. This federal table is remarkable....I've seen your work and knew you were capable of this kind of precision work and it is real great to see your step by step builds. Please don't stop posting...it would be a grey loss to all of us at the creek!

Don

Don,

You're much too kind! I used the magnification visor you generously gave me a ton to do the marquetry – thanks again!

Best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Mike: I always enjoy reading through your threads - as I do the work you post. I can't wait to see this completed with top and all... Lots of patience for all that inlay. Is this a first or have you done it before [not that your skills lack (quite the contrary) but I read that you weren't familiar with the sand-shading technique and hence the question]?
    Hi John,

This is my first time with the marquetry. As I mentioned, I epically screwed up several attempts before getting 4 finished oval inlays that will just have to do. The book on marquetry mentioned by Steven's earlier in the post was super helpful (sorry can't remember the title now). Although the marquetry required some specific dedicated tools, after little practice is not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Marquetry is something I've always been intimidated by and thought I could never do that, but apparently even a blind squirrel finds the occasionally acorn!

All the best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Michael, some of us out here ALWAYS read you posts . . . despite the fact we are humbled -but inspired too - by them. Don't sweat the numbers, the ones viewing are all solid supporters and admirers of your most excellent work.

Keep the faith; your skill set is impressive and your willingness to share is valued! Best regards, Patrick

Counselor,

Always great to hear from you! I sincerely appreciate your encouragement and far too generous, but typically elegantly expressed comments.

Please look me up next time you're in town – beers on me!

All the best Mike

Mike, It will indeed be my pleasure to do so!

Mike,
    I apologize for not commenting much earlier, but I love to see your posts.. the table is coming along beautifully, Keep the updates and photos coming.. Great work.

Hi Mike - Well I live in northern California in the high Sierras. Not a desert, but as far as hardwood goes it is a desert. I share your envy of woodworkers who live near available hardwood forests. If I want to buy hardwood I drive down to San Francisco, about 3 1/2 hour drive; or order on line and hope for the best. I do have about 300-400 bf of air dried California Claro Walnut that I am saving for some special project. I bought it freshly sawed about 7-8 years ago and stacked it for air drying. Now I need about 350-400 bf of cherry for a new and rather large project. I want to get it all from the same tree. This means I have to buy from some Eastern saw mill. I am looking at several mills, but I have absolutely no knowledge of them. Another "hope for the best" occasion.
    David

Mike, very impressive. The guys are looking and learning, I know I am