Thread: Is there a floor mat with a channel for a cable?

Is there a floor mat with a channel for a cable?

I will probably just use a cable shield cover for a 1/2" diameter 220 cable but want to avoid any tripping hazard. Is there a floor mat that has a channel cut for a cable?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Can't help you with your quest to find a store-bought mat, but if I ever got the inkling to try cutting a groove, I'd probably sandwich a mat between a sheet of 1/4" ply on the bottom (to reduce friction) and 3/4" ply on top (for weight, and to hold the mat flat). Then, I'd run it over a dado blade in the table saw. I'd set the dado blade height such that it cuts through the 1/4" ply and as deep into the mat as I wanted my groove.

If your mat was one of those soft, light foam ones that feels good on your feet, then I don't see that it wouldn't be a safe operation if done like that. Not sure how the clean the cut would be, as I've never tried cutting a mat like that with anything other than a utility knife. I probably wouldn't try the table saw thing on a mat that was hard rubber like on a car tire, though (especially if it's got threads imbedded in the rubber). I could just see that ending badly.

Hi Brian! Hope you are well. Miss our days on the rocker.

if you can't find a flat one, maybe a speed bump will be acceptable to you:

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/kend...qNUaAqNf8P8HAQ

Brian, if you use a 5/8" thick anti-fatigue mat like I do, a very sharp U-gouge could be used to cut a channel for a cord to go under it without a bump, unless it's a truly thick cable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have an extension cord (~3/8"" running under a woodcraft floor mat and it isn't a tripping hazard at all.

I just bought this one, since it is 5.25" wide and 3/4" high but covers a 1/2" diameter cable.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A38Z015AJ7I755
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 10-26-2016 at 12:11 PM.

I will probably order that. I bought this: Wiremold CDB-5 5-Feet Corduct Cord Protector, Brown
    It works OK, but you can't get more than 1 medium size conductor (3/8) through it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My mistake. The center groove is 1/2" but the cable itself is a solid 5/8". I'll keep it for another spot, but still need to solve the problem.

Those cable protectors cost the same as a long cord. You could just drop it down from the ceiling instead. Maybe.