Thread: A different way to "turn".....

A different way to "turn".....

This might be of interest. The pictures show a way we sometimes turned small bowls and display trays in exotic woods for high end retailers like Nordstrom's jewelry counters.

The machine here is a CNC milling machine. It's programmed to cut an outside profile then do the inside with a tapered wall, thin at the outside and thickening slightly toward the bottom. The same thing can be done on a CNC lathe, but the mill gives a little more variety in the tricky cuts it can do like oval turning. As shown about 6 minutes to do the inside and outside.

The piece shown is 3" diameter, black locust limb dripping wet. It's what I had handy. It's a little surprising the finish isn't better with this being locust, earlier I did a piece in soft western maple that has an almost burnished finish.

The work is stationary, the high speed rotating cutters move around the work in a downward spiral path. For this test the outside was done with a 4" diameter shaper cutter, the inside with a 1/2" diameter ball end router bit. The same technique can do turnings as large as salad bowls.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting.,
    Looks like you're burning that edge with the washer though...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

It wood be interesting to see some video.

Quote Originally Posted by William Bachtel View Post
    It wood be interesting to see some video.
    No video, here are three pics showing a shallow recess being cut. The cutter starts at the top spiraling down to the bottom center. This wood is very punky so not a clean cut.

Fourth pic shows a recess cut in walnut for contrast in quality of cut using dry hard wood (camera distorted color). Note the sharp edges and smooth cut.

Fifth picture shows a related capability, oval box lid in a rosewood-like material.

Sixth pic is just something done to see if I could. Same machine and similar technique to the box lid.

I've always like turned wood objects, but I don't like to turn by hand. When I retired from my business I kept two CNC machines to do my turning. This same type work could be done on the under $2K CNC routers sold by Rockler and Woodcraft. With the CNC you have similar issues as hand turners, both ways you have to come up with a good design. The CNC just makes it a bit easier to accomplish your design.
    Attached Images Attached Images