Thread: Bosch Oscillating Tool - new blades questions

Bosch Oscillating Tool - new blades questions

I have a Bosch MX30 oscillating tool. Not quite a Festool, but still very nice.

I just picked up a 2-pack of the OSC114C metal blades, which I use fairly often.

https://www.amazon.com/OSC114C-2-4-I.../dp/B00ELCCOZW

Got home and saw online that Bosch now has a completely new line, with the Fein-designed "Starlock" "3D" locking design. Not only is it a supposedly better design, but these OSL114C blades are also a LOT less expensive, which seems strange:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-OSL114C...ywords=OSL114C

I see there's a new Bosch tool called the GOP40-30, which obviously has the starlock system, and it's also significantly cheaper, in a given package, than the older MX30E. Newer things usually don't get that much less expensive unless the quality took a nosedive. I've done some googling, but can't figure this out:

1: Bosch barely has any info any more on the old blade design, as if it has been phased out. Do Starlock blades fit the MX30, just with the side-support, or whatever?

2: Has the quality gone down? Cheaper or thinner carbide, or ???? What else could explain the huge price drop?

3: Has anyone "upgraded" from the MX30, to either the GOP40 or the top-end GOP55? Is it worth it?

What else could explain the huge price drop?
    Country of origin maybe?

The OSC114C metal blades blades clearly say "Swiss Made" on them.
    The
    OSL114C have no markings that I could see.

Speaking of Bosch and country of origin.......I was disappointed to find out my very reasonably priced Bosch hammer drill was made in China & that accounted for it's price. While it was reasonable, it was what I'd consider low priced - - on sale it was more than a Hitachi and/or DeWalt.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Egads.

Let's hope Bosch isn't going the way of Delta.

Did not see any markings of country of manufacture on the OSL114C blade in the picture as Rich states. However, the description on the Amazon site indicates Swiss made.

Perhaps the description of "metal & more" vs. "heavy metal" is the difference?

FWIW- I have a Bosch MX30E, Swiss made, that I purchased from Amazon for an install earlier this year. It is Star Lock just like Fein or Festool (they share the same blades as far as I know). The "new" OSL114C blades appear to have the same Star lock mounting system. I haven't purchased any blades recently and don't have any info on where they are made or why the price reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    FWIW- I have a Bosch MX30E, Swiss made, that I purchased from Amazon for an install earlier this year. It is Star Lock just like Fein or Festool (they share the same blades as far as I know). The "new" OSL114C blades appear to have the same Star lock mounting system. I haven't purchased any blades recently and don't have any info on where they are made or why the price reduction.
    Thanks, Bill. So maybe my MX30E also has it, and I just haven't noticed since the blades I bought were the old style?

Hmmm .... I'm staring right at the thing and can't tell. It is a tool-less mount, and looks pretty much like the new units. there ARE bumps around the perimeter of the mount, which don't come into play with the old style blades.
    Maybe the tool itself was designed with this "3D" mount, before the change-over happened with the actual blades.

Does anyone know for sure if this is the case?
    -----------------------

Anyway, I'm still worried about the price / quality issue.

The old 114's are $35 for two, (and well worth it) whereas the new "L"'s are $40 for THREE. I can't find any online comparison
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 10-26-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    I can't find any online comparison
    That is the internet telling you that you have been chosen as the guinea pig.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    That is the internet telling you that you have been chosen as the guinea pig.

LOL!

This could get expensive .....

I guess I'd better not ask if you can somehow use the Festool plunge base with and Starlock-compatible oscillating tool.

I guess I'd better not ask if you can somehow use the Festool plunge base with and Starlock-compatible oscillating tool.
    Just buy the Fein Supercut as the plunge base fits it (since it is the same tool) but then the Fein doesn't have the detachable cord so I think you should just het the Festool Vecturo and be done with it.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 10-27-2016 at 4:13 AM.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Just buy the Fein Supercut as the plunge base fits it (since it is the same tool) but then the Fein doesn't have the detachable cord so I think you should just het the Festool Vecturo and be done with it.

Actually someone reported in some article that the Fein only works if you fabricate some kind of custom washer, so there must be a small difference.

But yeah, considering that the plunge base along costs around $150, if I were doing it over I'd just buy the Festool. However, I'm waiting for the Festool MK II, because A: The current model has a few flaws, IMO, and B: I don't have the $$$ right now.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 10-28-2016 at 1:53 PM.

Actually someone reported in some article that the Fein only works if you fabricate some kind of custom washer, so there must be a small difference.

But yeah, considering that the plunge base along coast around $150, if I were doing it over I'd just buy the Festool. However, I'm waiting for the Festool MK II, because A: The current model has a few flaws, IMO, and B: I don't have the $$$ right now.
    There seem to be several small differences and the reports are all over the map, some making the Festool parts work with no mods and some people seemingly needing to do mods for the same attachment. I agree though if one needs/wants the Festool bits and pieces then they probably should buy the Festool.

In any event I am interested in what you find out, I have yet to buy any carbide blades since I have a stock of bi-metal blades and the majority of my use turns out to be my neghbor and not for me, he has been fascinated by it ever since I used it at his place the first time cutting some corroded screws in place he couldn't get to on his dock, ever since then he seems to look for uses for it!