Thread: How useful is steady rest for bowls?

How useful is steady rest for bowls?

Hi all,
    I'm starting to turn larger and larger bowls as I gain experience, and am wondering if I could benefit from a steady rest. How many of you use a steady for bowls, and how useful do you find it to be? I'm turning on a Robust AB which I think has a 25 inch capacity.
    thanks for your input.

Chris, I have the AB and only use my steady rest for hollow forms and vases - those turnings that extend away from the headstock. I keep the tailstock in place until just about finished and only remove when it is time to clean up the center when hollowing.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I learned to turn bowls and platter type forms before I even knew what a steady rest was... On big pieces, 18 or so diameter and bigger. I keep the tailstock on as long as possible when turning the outside. My Beauty with the pivoting tailstock platform makes this simple. I remove it for coring and turning the inside. With proper sized tenon or recess, and light tool pressure it isn't a problem. When turning the rim, I use my fingers on the outside of the bowl to dampen vibrations. Finger pressure = tool pressure, and if your fingers are getting hot, then you are pushing too hard. There are a number of turners who use them, but I never developed the need.

robo hippy

Clay, like Steve, I have a steady for hollowing, but also a OneWay bowl steady that I use with large platters on which I make aggressive cuts or texturing. It works very well for that. I don't turn a lot of bowls, but I have never needed it for that purpose. On the other hand, I don't care for really deep hemi-spherical bowls. They seem out of proportion to me, though I see a lot of them turned.

I don't really turn hollow forms bigger that moderately-sized boxes so I have no need for a steady rest. However, like Mr. Keeton, I do own a Oneway bowl steady that I find very useful when turning the rims on larger platters. Usually, when I get up to about 15-16"+, I support the rim with the steady.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep turning and ruminating on this before making a decision........