Thread: Shop Made Travisher

Shop Made Travisher

So it has been almost a year since I set out to build 4 fan back Windsor chairs. I have never built a chair before but with the plethora of information on the net and a mentor that has 8-10 different styles of Windsors under his belt, I finally have reached the stage that i need to start carving my seats. I have had to build many new tools to arrive to where I am in this project( ie: kiln, tapered tenon cutters, tenon cutters,and tapered reamer). So I figured I'd share this travisher I made this week. I used a piece of hard maple log my Uncle in NY gave me 2 years ago. I bought some O1 steel flat stock and some brass flat stock and shaped, hardened and sharpened accordingly. I copied the style of Claire Minihan and Peter Galbert. It cuts well but it could use some improvement. I will be making another with a larger radius to use in the flatter ares of the seat. Let me know what you think.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Thanks for Looking,
    Eric Smith

Nice work. One question. The handles/horns seem a little high to me. Does it make the tool more difficult to use? I've not made or used one, but I enjoy making my own tools and this one looks like a potential addition to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hulbert View Post
    Nice work. One question. The handles/horns seem a little high to me. Does it make the tool more difficult to use? I've not made or used one, but I enjoy making my own tools and this one looks like a potential addition to my collection.
    Dan, I thought the same when I first seen the design. You basically pinch the Travisher with both hands on the lower area between your thumbs and pointer fingers. The " handles" act as a rest for the side and palm of your hand, if that make sense.

That's a pretty seat and a pretty travisher.

Dan, I thought the same when I first seen the design. You basically pinch the Travisher with both hands on the lower area between your thumbs and pointer fingers. The " handles" act as a rest for the side and palm of your hand, if that make sense.

Eric, I can see how that would work. Thanks

Excellent work. Very nicely made

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    That's a pretty seat and a pretty travisher.
    Thanks for the kind words. The seat is my practice seat and will be used on my new shave horse I'm building.

Nice work on the travisher. I've built a number of Windsors and have always wanted one, just never seemed to get one. Would like to see your blade arrangement, it is always the difficult part of tool making.
    Richard