Thread: Putting a color image on 1" thick clear acrylic or glass

Putting a color image on 1" thick clear acrylic or glass

Hi everybody,

I have a very short deadline to do an executive award. It needs to be mailed out Friday 28th! People usually don't give enough time for unusual requests.

I need to put a colored graphic on a clear background substrate. The colors are very specific to their logo, and there are about 8 or 10 different colors.

I ordered Sublicrylic, 1" thick, 6"x8". Then I realized it has a white coating, and I believe when I dye sub it, the area around it will appear white. I haven't tried it yet... if I dye sub it, will the white coating "disappear" when heated? Or is there a way to remove it?

I think the design has too many pieces to be done as a water slide decal. I don't have the colors to cut it out of vinyl, and not sure if that would be feasible anyway.

What other options are there?

Thanks!
    Amy
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

Is the white somewhat translucent? If so it's probably just the sublimation coating and should turn clear. If it fails, the best methods is a flatbed printer, the image is printed directly onto the clear acrylic or lexan. Next best would be to print on clear city with a large format printer, then apply to the clear. If you have neither, I would scramble to find a local shop that does and sub it out.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I've done a lot of these sub acrylics for one customer of mine. Yes, it remains a relatively opaque white. It doesn't vanish or disappear. There is no way to remove it and I wouldn't recommend attempting it.

There are two ways to accomplish what you're looking for.

1. UV direct print.
    2. Magic Touch transfer (or something similar).

It sounds like your customer gave you an unrealistic time frame to do this project and you said yes for some reason. Also just so you know, JDS has a direct printer now and will print on their own awards. It's only done in Sioux Falls and you need to give them about a week + shipping time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Is the white somewhat translucent? If so it's probably just the sublimation coating and should turn clear. If it fails, the best methods is a flatbed printer, the image is printed directly onto the clear acrylic or lexan. Next best would be to print on clear city with a large format printer, then apply to the clear. If you have neither, I would scramble to find a local shop that does and sub it out.
    Why scramble to figure it out when they likely gave less than a week's notice to do something that the vast majority of award shops can't do in house. Also you can't exactly walk down to the local sign shop and say "Hey buddy. Can you print on this one acrylic award I have to do for tomorrow. $15? Sounds great!"

I deal with my fair share of last minute customers and even my absolute best customer I set up realistic parameters. 2-3 rush jobs = Stuff I can get fast and do 100% in house. If they can't find something from JDS, Marco, PDU, Freeman, or Airflyte that I can sublimate, engrave, or laser engrave then they'll have to find another shop.
    Last edited by Ross Moshinsky; 10-27-2016 at 11:59 AM.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Thanks, Joe and Ross.

I dye subbed the Sublicrylic with a cute baby photo with white lettering, just to make absolutely sure it wouldn't turn clear. That way, I have a sample of a cute baby instead of their logo. Ross was right, it remained white.

I originally said yes when it was a design we had made, that didn't involve any color; it was all lasered. At that time, they wanted us to design it, and I thought we had two weeks. Then they gave us the changes (using color on acrylic, as well as a backdrop of lasered acrylic) and said I had til Monday. I thought we can figure something out. Then it was pushed up to tomorrow! The customer needed to receive it in another state on Monday!

Oh, and get this... they specified a wooden base, painted matte black. Then one of the men at the ad agency told me on the phone, We don't want it to look like painted wood. Huh? I sent back an email that said I'm not sure I understand, if they specify painted wood but they don't want it to look like it, then maybe they need to get someone else to do the base. This is not what we do. But my husband made one, and I'll paint it, and yes, it will look like painted wood. We are not even an awards shop!

I told them the colored acrylic will not be clear, and I guess they're ok with it. At this point, I don't care. lol

Ross, thanks for letting me know about JDS, that they print their awards. I may have found a local printer that can do it, but of course, they would need plenty of notice.
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

It think this might work.... http://stikypic.com/Learning-Center.html
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Sounds like they are the worst type of customer. Nothing worse than starting to work with a company and they start off reasonable and then slowly but surely they show their true colors. Then you're left with cutting your losses or soldiering through. At some point you just have to cut them off.

My favorite thing to do is repeat what they want back to them in a shocked voice. "You want what for this week? And you need it to be x,y,z? Who thought of that idea?" When you make them sound like they're being ridiculous they will either back off or think you're a jerk and find someone else. But there's an old saying: If everyone you meet is a jerk, then the reality is, you're probably the jerk.

I just hope for your sake that this order is for 10 pcs and not 1pc. At least then you might end up making an profit when all said and done.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

That short notice and those spec's and I would say, sorry you will need to find someone else. But offer them something you can do on time, take it or leave it.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10