Thread: Family sign

Family sign

This little sign was done in July 2009 & I'd completely forgotten about it until I happened by while giving a buddy from BC the scenic tour.
    This is sandblasted Western Redcedar with BenMoore acrylic primer & Porter Acrishield paints. This is the original paint & the sign faces WNW. Contrary to what many sign guys think, a 100% acrylic ( waterbased) housepaint will outlast good ole 1-Shot many times over, especially on wood.
    As one might guess, they're in the excavation business ....

This was done before I discovered Aspire & V-carve Pro at a Letterheads Meet in Kenora ON. Until that point, I had no desire to own a CNC because the sofware was just too intimidating. Now, I would likely do this a lot differently. Rather than having the excavator sitting on a "floating" pile of rubble, the rubble pile would extend to the bottom of the sign. I would likely add raised letters for the name, & "family" would likely be V-carved or even just sandblasted in. You don't need all the fancy tools to make dimensional signs, but they sure give you a lot more options .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rodger MacMunn; 10-28-2016 at 7:47 AM. Reason: omissions

I see your point about the gravel pile ,but still it's a nice piece. Love the machine glass treatment and bucket "stuck on U".
    I'm really enjoying the sign work here.