Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plane grooves

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    ...I always looked for the corrugated souls...
    I take it that you look for planes in rough shape, so that you can feel proud of having saved their corrugated souls.

I have a Stanley 5C. It's become my go to for dimensioning stock. I haven't noticed the "catch" issue on edge work.

Blog Entries
    Though I do have a full set of planes and more with smooth soles, a few planes came my way with corrugated soles. They are a #4, #5 & a #8. The #4 & #5 work fine, the #8 has not gotten around to being restored of yet. These are somewhat "basket case" planes. The #4 is a bit of a frankenplane with mismatched handles. It also has a few chips of metal missing here and there. The #5 is okay save a bit of pitting in a few places on the sole and the tote bolt hole was totally stripped. I used some
    JB Weld to hold the bolt in. The #8 is just waiting for me to get feeling a bit more like moving some weight around and time to work on it. I need to repair a tote for it and then maybe give it a fresh coat of paint. Not much motivation to put it together since I already have a #8 that works fine.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hmmm, since I rub the soles of my planes with a candle, before I start to use them.....there tends to be a lot of "Waxy Build Up" in the "c" models. I suppose, as things heat up a bit in use, some would run out onto the sole.