Thread: Filing big japanese saw.

Filing big japanese saw.

Hi all.

Some time ago I bought this used saw with the intention of using it for ripping. It arrived dull, and with a tooth profile which I guess is for crosscutting, possibly for green branches (please correct me here if I'm wrong). In its present state it won't cut anything.

I want to refile it with rip teeth. I have a feather file, and a diamond coated japanese saw file as well. Since it is big rip teeth I think I can pull this off, and hopefully get a decently working saw.

Before I start I want to ask the members here with experience in sharpening/filing japanese saws if this saw type has the potential of beeing a useable rip saw (the dedicated ones I've seen in pictures usually have wider blades)?

Furthermore, I'd appreciate any advice on filing jap. rip saws. Anything in particular I should be aware of?

With 15'' Jack for scale:

DSCN1518.jpg

Tooth profile, welding line and stamps:

DSCN1519.jpg

DSCN1520.jpg

DSCN1521.jpg

Looking forward to hear about your experiences.

Oskar

Oscar; looking at the thick gauge of the saw plate along the tooth line, it may not cut too cleanly in a rip tooth. Japanese Saws are not my forte so others may offer a more experienced opinion.

Stewie;

Thanks Stewie. I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What I know is that the set is quite big, and I think that it will get better when I file the teeth down to the rip profile.

Oscar; would I be right in suggesting the saw teeth at the moment are sharpened with crosscut fleam.

yes, they are.

Blog Entries
    Can you tell if the current profile is original or if it was altered by a former user?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Jim, no I can't. The teeth are a bit uneven, especially in the amount of set. But I can't say if this is due to rough use or if they have been set like that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskar Sedell View Post
    Hi Jim, no I can't. The teeth are a bit uneven, especially in the amount of set. But I can't say if this is due to rough use or if they have been set like that.
    I am not much up on Japanese saws. One thought is they do not have a lot of set. Makes me wonder if some amateur with a saw set thought they were sharpening it by giving it more set. I have met a few no nothings that think a saw set is a sharpener.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Forgot to mention the set can be removed if need be by pressing the saw in a good machinist vise.

jtk

Yes, I've read about removing set this way. But, by filing the teeth to rip profile they will loose their sharp, crosscut tips, and thus the set will become less. Actually, I hope that enough set will remain after filing, since I have neither a saw set, nor tried setting the saw with hammer and anvil.

I assume you need special files to sharpen teeth on a saw like this. What type are they, where do you get them?