Thread: Veritas miniature set

Veritas miniature set

Just wondering how many of us collect this fine set?

For the past few releases I have not been buying them. Perhaps I found it as a novelty compared to being useful......

I've considered them for my current project but haven't pulled the trigger. I think the chisels are useless at that length. Small flexible scrapers replace the miniature stanley #80. The planes are very interesting but I am happy with the small ebony mujingfang (sp) offerings. If I were to spend the money I'd buy the full set of mujingfang mini planes.

I found the miniature spoke shave and router plane to be useful. The miniature shoulder plane was a pretty big waste of money considering the cost.

I don't collect them, but I have a few to use as tools for small parts.

The little router plane is excellent, as is the scraper plane and spokeshave. The edge plane also gets used.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I found use for

mini router - it does remove wood but the nut can be fiddly...
    shoulder plane. It really does work......
    edge plane..... Not sure yet...... Tried but not sure.
    block plane. Oh yes works......
    Spokeshave. Okay it can work well.

I haven't bought the rest as I cannot wrap my head on the use yet....... Maybe one day I will complete the collection...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I don't collect them, but I have a few to use as tools for small parts.

The little router plane is excellent, as is the scraper plane and spokeshave. The edge plane also gets used.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Out of curiosity what sort of work do you use the miniature edge plane for?

The full-sized versions of that are unexpectedly high-usage planes for me. They have the same cutting geometry (bed and skew angles) as the LV shooter, and do a great job of truing up small ends for which I don't want to go to the trouble of digging out the shooting board. The tradeoff is of course that the edge plane's fence only provides registration on one axis, so I have to measure and take partial strokes for the other, but IMO that's not much hassle.

I'm having trouble imagining similar uses for the small one, though.

I have most of them and find them generally useful, except for the chisels. I particularly like the shoulder and router planes. The shoulder plane got used just yesterday, cleaning out the bottom of a cut that was just not possible to fix with any other tool I have.

OTOH, I am delighted that they are useful, but that's not why I got them.

Out of curiosity what sort of work do you use the miniature edge plane for?
    Hi Patrick

I have used it on the edges of small boxes as it gets into spaces the full size version cannot. It works quite well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the Detail Chisels, not the miniature ones but still pretty small, and use them a lot for detail/intricate work. I like them but it seems like anything smaller would be too small for me.

Can't really think of any tool I have ever bought for collecting although I do have 6 hand braces (6" - 14" throws) and 5 egg beaters.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 10-31-2016 at 2:25 PM.

Like most others, I haven't bought any of the latest three or four miniatures. I bought the original set of five (relatively good price) but individually there are quite expensive. I'm waiting for Lee Valley to offer the last bunch in a set. I always find something else to spend my money on.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"