Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Malt Recommendations

Single Malt Recommendations

I am looking for a good reco on a Single Malt for a friend that's turning 50. He's a Lagavulin 16 fan.

What's the next step up from there?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I am looking for a good reco on a Single Malt for a friend that's turning 50. He's a Lagavulin 16 fan.

There isn't one!. ....Unless you can find a 25yr? (Just my humble opinion.)

Blog Entries
    I am a fan of Laphroig, one of the Islay scotches.

On a slightly more useful note, it is easy to find more expensive scotches than the Lagavulin, but basically you're just buying 'exclusivity' - you'll have the only bottle on the block.

If he likes the Islay scotches and the big peaty tastes, then any of the other Islay offerings are good.

If he likes a massive finish, try Talisker. It is a highland region (Skye) scotch and not too expensive, but different, and I think unique.

Or for tastes at the other end on the spectrum, look for Auchentoshan (Lowland region), or Springbank (Campbeltown region).

2 bottles. .

Your friend has good taste. Whiskey/scotch is pretty subjective. If your friend tends to Islay styles maybe try Ardbeg or check out the link below.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/ratings-re...d=0&reviewer=0

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    2 bottles. .

Your friend has good taste. Whiskey/scotch is pretty subjective. If your friend tends to Islay styles maybe try Ardbeg or check out the link below.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/ratings-re...d=0&reviewer=0
    Neil, I've got a birthday coming up. That '64 Bowmore looks really nice (hint, HINT ). Or a Porsche. ...I'm easy to shop for.

i meant to point out the right side sorter. You can adjust by price type etc. or you can just mortgage the house.

on on anther note if he likes big peaty taste you might try Triple Smoke from Corsair Distillary. It's not scotch but it's damn good in my opinion.

http://www.corsairdistillery.com/home

In addition to whatever is recommended here, go to the Lumber Yard and look up "Whisk(e)y thread" on or about page 4. Might find some ideas there.
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Garner View Post
    I am a fan of Laphroig, one of the Islay scotches.
    Ditto! But the smokey, peat-infused taste of the Islay style isn't for everyone.

I have an old Scottish friend who likes Lagavulin but he said it's so smoky, it's like licking the inside of a barbecue grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

I'm a fan of the Islay malts myself. The smokier, peatier, and "nastier" they are, the better. I've had a handful of the Lagavulin Distiller's Editions that I've enjoyed and the current one looks interesting to me as well: "Double matured in Pedro Ximinez cask wood, this is a mellow Lagavulin, peat-rich, sweet and very more-ish." Another option would be the Lagavulin 12 Year Old 200th Anniversary if available in your area. Stepping out the Lagavulin lineup, I'm fond of Caol Ila, especially the 18-year-old expression. For a step sideways that's not Islay and not particularly peaty/smoky but is a little unusual nonetheless, I like The Balvenie Caribbean Cask, which is finished in rum barrels.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    ...the smokey, peat-infused taste of the Islay style isn't for everyone.
    Sassenach!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    Ditto! But the smokey, peat-infused taste of the Islay style isn't for everyone.
    I agree. I love Scotch but hate the Islay versions save the non-peaty few. That said Lagavulin is an Islay so Prashun can peat away with confidence. I can't hel though since I don;t like them.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I happen to like it as peaty and smokey as possible. The more phenolic, the better...although my instinct is this is not good for us.

I just happen to be a bit of a Single Malt aficionado. I'm of Scottish heritage, in fact 3 sides of my family tree go straight back to Clan Ross in the Scottish Highlands. When it comes to Scotch Whisky (NOT WhiskEy, Scotch is unique), I tend to agree with the Scots, who favor the Whisky from Glenmorangie (pronounced glen-more-angie, or glen-m-orange-e). It is by far, the number one Single Malt in Scotland. Of their varieties, I have found all to be extremely good. Even their "Oringinal" is quite excellent. In fact, it's my go-to table whisky.

Glenmorangie has the tallest goose-neck stills stills in Scotland, they allow the "vapours to rise a wee bit more towards heaven". There are several "Emergency" levels in Great Britain. The area around the Glenmorangie distillery is zoned with the same level as their nuclear power plants. The Sixteen Men of Tain have been making the worlds finest whiskys there since 1703. The whole area around the distillery is saturated with alcohol. There are species of moss that grow on the trees in the surrounding area that grow no where else in the world that live solely on the alcohol. It is because of the level of saturation, that the Government has classified the whole area at that highest level because of the amount of destruction that would result if something catastrophic happened there.

I have been fortunate to have attended several of their tastings at various Highland Games throughout the Midwest. In fairness, I have also attended tastings of many other brands as well as those of various distributors. In my humble opinion, my recommendation for a special occasion is their "Signet". It's rich, complex, aromatic, silky smooth, an immensely flavorful. My all time favorite is their 25yr. It is so smooth, it's like drinking warm whisky flavored butter. My favorite (within my economic means) was their 15yr, which unfortunately they no longer produce. It tasted like a much much more expensive whisky. The secret was in the specific maturation it received. I always highly recommended it.

Below is a link to their website. You will need to input your date of birth (day first, then month). On the home page, hover over "Our Whiskys" and click on the variety of your choice. It will take you to a page with a great video explanation of it. You should also check out the videos under the heading "Our Stories".

OH, by the way, Glenmorangie owns the company that makes the oak casks used by Jack Daniels. Once used by Jack, they are transported to Scotland where they are then put to use for the initial aging process. Having Jack use them once, tempers the charring so that it doesn't impart the harshness as it does in Tennessee Whiskey (notice, I put the "E" back in).

So here is the link, let me know what you think:

https://www.glenmorangie.com/us/
    Last edited by Stew Hagerty; 11-02-2016 at 3:41 AM.