Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Single Malt Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    +1. And be sure not to drink them in 'series'. A 'parallel' approach is MUCH more revealing. After you've sampled the 3rd one, going back to a sip of the 1st will result in a completely different experience.
    Thanks for bringing this thread back. Now I'm thirsty

Balvenie 17 doublewood is hard to beat . . . . hard to pay for too . . .

Reporting back...

My father got a bottle of for father-and-son-only Glenmorangie Signet last week. It was Heaven in a glass, but I can't figure out if it's because we paid so dearly for it or because it was really that good.

BIRKIN!

Auchentoshan (Lowland region),
    Excellent brew.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Reporting back...

My father got a bottle of for father-and-son-only Glenmorangie Signet last week. It was Heaven in a glass, but I can't figure out if it's because we paid so dearly for it or because it was really that good.

BIRKIN!
    Prashun, it's really that good!
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    2 bottles. .

Your friend has good taste. Whiskey/scotch is pretty subjective. If your friend tends to Islay styles maybe try Ardbeg or check out the link below.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/ratings-re...d=0&reviewer=0
    Another vote for Ardbeg - if you like it really peaty then try their Corryvreckan - that's about as peaty and tarry as it gets. Not to everyone's taste, but one of their best

hello
    i'm new user your community.According to me Scotch drinkers like to keep things simple. Sure, you can make a fantastic whisky cocktail, but most aficionados want to enjoy the smoky flavor unadorned — except perhaps for ice, water or a splash of soda. Instead of looking for the best mixers, connoisseurs are trying to find the top distilleries in Scottish towns from the Highlands to the Lowlands that produce the best single malt scotch.

regards
    jessica patel
    contact me-
    Assignment writing service
    Last edited by jessica patel; 12-22-2016 at 7:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure how I missed this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    I was discussing this earlier tonight with my wife actually. We are taking a belated honeymoon of sorts this weekend and she mentioned picking up some special beverages to celebrate. The topic naturally drifted to Scotch and I couldn't really think of anything I wanted more than Lagavulin, despite my best efforts. As others have mentioned, I don't think there are any steps above it, just sideways or down. Never tried the Oban 18, hope it goes down well!
    I'm not much for Oban 14, but the 18 is pretty incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Well, I see you bought an Oban 18. Not a bad choice. Although I'm not much of a fan of their younger whiskys, the 18 does have some interesting aromas and flavors. Kind of middle-of-the-road peatyness which I prefer.
    Whenever you have a chance either search online for the Signet and/or give Glenmorangie a phone call, and they'll put you touch with a distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Reporting back...

BIRKIN!
    Nice choice!

Practically all of my favorite whiskies are Islay, Bunnahabhain, Lagavulin and Port Charlotte. Lagavulin has a distillers edition which is slightly different from the 16yr, that is really good. I was lucky enough that my sister and her husband bought me a Bunnahabhain 25yr as a thank you for a piece of furniture I made for them. I drink it about once a year and it never fails to amaze me.

If you really want to splurge....I mean REALLY want to splurge...I've seen a few bottles of Lagavulin 37yr floating around various stores in my area!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I proposed to my wife during the last course (which happened to be the Signet) of a 5 course Glenmorangie / gourmet food pairing dinner at an esteemed local restaurant. It was fantastic and will always be remembered fondly. I'm told that it was a smart move on my part, as she would've had trouble saying no during the last course of a Scotch tasting dinner even if she'd wanted to!

If I remember correctly, we tasted the Original, Lasanta, Quinta Ruban, Nectar D'or, and the Signet. It was quite a memorable experience!