Thread: Chatoyance in old furniture: does it decline over time?

Chatoyance in old furniture: does it decline over time?

Hello all,

I've noticed that in older furniture that has particularly showy figure (e.g. curly maple) the chatoyance that you'd expect from such figure usually isn't there. You can see that there is figure, but as you move around the piece you don't see the kind of movement you would on a new piece of curly maple freshly finished.

Is this something that happens to all figured wood as it ages? Is it due to the finishes used? Is it something else?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm certainly a non-expert, and thank you for your thoughts!

The finishes degrade and the uv takes its toll. It gives restoration polishers work. Cheers

I'd be interested to know whether it's the effect of time and UV on the finish, the wood, or both. I'd wager it's the effect of time and UV on the finish, not the wood, because while UV will change the color of wood I can't imagine any effect on the orientation of the fibers (which is what produces the chatoyance).

Is the best route to having eye-popping chatoyance last a long time a finish with UV inhibitors?

The best long life finishes are uv stabilised. They are correspondingly more expensive to the point where you will not find one in a regular paint shop and the price is coronary inducing. All things degrade over time though so you can only hope to delay the inevitable. On the other hand, some oil finishes are good, you just have to refresh them often. Cheers