Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Design to Cut. Anyone have a better way?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Shawa View Post
    But Bill,

My problem is that I work in 3D. Everything is components. I have 2D components that change as I make changes to my 3D model. When I am done I have to make a copy of the flattened components that have changed, explode the flattened copy, remove the unwanted lines, export to DXF import into LaserCut, colorize 4 or more different groups of cuts....every time.

If I worked in 2D I wouldn't know the 3D effects until after I had cut and assembled them.

Ideally if the 3D software would allow me to color the lines and export the flattened version directly to LaserCut.

Ian uses Onshape for his 3D which I haven't tried YET and also uses the LaserCut driver.

Ian, can you give tips on the Corel X6 to LaserCut plugin?
    Well when designing for my 3D printer its Fusion 360. For laser graphics all you need is in Coral Draw.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

You know, Ken, that was very good of you to write all that to me. I have spent every moment from my last post until now and many hours before that looking for a way to make this happen and you just gave me the idea that maybe the problem is in the DXF export/import plugin that I use.

So I checked things out a bit more. I exported from LaserCut, imported to Corel and then back to LaserCut. The colored lines survived. Nothing wrong with LaserCut (well..)

I spent hours looking for a different DXF exporter. I even looked into PDF format as they would also work with a bit of messing around. NO LUCK

I hadn't been using line colors in Sketchup because they weren't exporting.

I imported a colored DXF file into Sketchup and turned on the line colors.
    The just released Sketchup2017 has a newly upgraded built in DXF exporter. (At least until the trial period is over for the Pro version) So I thought to try that again.

I exported to DXF and imported in LaserCut and..............

Thank you for you Reply Ken, It got me to try something else and............

I CAN EXPORT RIGHT OUT OF SKETCHUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AND RIGHT BACK IN.

No more screwing around.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

I make folding structure, Bill. So It is necessary, for me at least, to see it in 3D and I know sketchup pretty well now. But I solve the problem for now. Sketchup has an upgrade to the built in DXF exporter.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Shawa View Post
    I make folding structure, Bill. So It is necessary, for me at least, to see it in 3D and I know sketchup pretty well now. But I solve the problem for now. Sketchup has an upgrade to the built in DXF exporter.
    Fusion 360 ls a AutoDesk program, I learned Acad in Release 9, back in early 90's, the original Sketchup program and interface was intended for people.... well like to just Sketch or draw and not to exact scale. It has since evolved into a full CAD program with many loyal users. But It still keeps the same interface more or less. Very difficult for a AutoDesk user to change over or learn.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

There's usually an answer out there somewhere, no matter the problem, and your diligence found one! Now you can grow older a little bit slower...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle