Thread: Sending or Posting Articles

Sending or Posting Articles

Occasionally I want to communicate information that is too long for a post. I have written extensive notes on a variety of topics (book chapters, actually) Most often this is in reply to a question posted on a forum where a complete response would be lengthy.

So my questions are (1) is there a way to attach or enclose a file to a private message, as you can do with normal e-mail? (2) If the answer to (1) is no, please point me to information on how to post or publish an article. I read whatever I could find in FAQ, but I do not understand the FAQ reference to permission to post an article. There is something about a button that shows up if one has been given permission, but I don't know where that button would appear.

BTW my work-around has been to ask the person for his/her email address but maybe there is a more efficient way?

Doug

If it's just for one person, email it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have a web site so I put the document on my web site and then send the person a link to it.

Not sure of the policy on this forum, but if it's applicable to the subject matter being discussed and your web site is not commercial, you might be able to post a link in your forum posting.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Doug,

To publish an article here at SMC is quite easy per this thread/announcement http://www.sawmillcreek.org/content....l-for-Articles .

Keep in mind, both Keith has a business besides SMC and Aaron is employed outside SMC, so their replies could be delayed.

If all else fails, contact one of the Moderators to follow up for you.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Test of document attachments

This is a test of PDF and TXT file attachments to a message.

I cut out most of the content in the PDF and greatly reduced the sizes of the remaining photos to meet SMC upload requirements.

Turning_long_thin_spindles_TEST2-3.pdf

A text file is pretty small anyway.

Turning long thin spindles_TEST2.txt

Does this work for you?

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 11-03-2016 at 5:21 PM.

You cannot attach files to Private Messages, vBulletin doesn't provide the capability.
    Remember that the primary reason for a public forum is to share information so a large number of people will benefit.

You can attach up to a two meg zip file here.

Thanks to all for information and clarification. Now I see how I could use the author forum. Mike, I have a website, also, so I can use that approach.

John and Keith -- I'm sorry to be dense, but how can I attach a pdf or zip file to a message?

Doug

Doug,

I think you can do it by clicking on Go Advanced and then scroll down to "Manage Attachments".

I will check now and finish this post.

So...in detail. Click on "Reply to thread" ....then in the lower right corner select "Go Advanced"........then scroll down to "Manage Attachments" . Then when the attachment window opens up select the file on your computer and upload it. Then close the "Manage Attachments" window which will bring you back to your original "Reply to Thread" window. There you will see a paper clip. Click on it and you can select to insert by a specific file if you uploaded more than one, or select Insert All.

Then finish the post to the thread as you normally would.

Good luck!

That's it. Keep in mind the file size limits that will be displayed. That is the most common problem people have posting photos here. The files are too large.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-04-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken,

That is excellent! Thank you very much. I had no idea - I guess I hadn't wanted to "Go Advanced" before. Here is my test attachment:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    Ken, That is excellent! Thank you very much. I had no idea - I guess I hadn't wanted to "Go Advanced" before. Here is my test attachment:
    I did it way Ken described, except I chose the "inline" option to put attachment links in the body of the text instead of at the bottom of the message. I only tried PDF and TXT, perhaps other types are also permitted.

I used a free online DOC to PDF converter to make the PDF. I suspect there are more efficient converters available which could fit a more complex document into a smaller file.

JKJ

John,

I wondered what that was for. Thanks

Doug