Thread: Symposium Vs. Hunting

Symposium Vs. Hunting

This weekend is the bi-annual Virginia Woodturning Symposium, which this year has a stellar lineup of well known turners doing the presentations, as well as a large vendor area where one is sure to enjoy the wares that will be available to drop your hard earned $$$$ on.

It is also opening of gun season for deer hunting, and I have been scratching my head for a while now wondering who made this momentous decision to hold them on the same weekend? What were they thinking?

Well, I am going to the symposium, but think I will give someone an earful about this! Just sayin'!

Actually, this year the rifle season is running a little later than it normally does, but we are at the first Muzzleloader week, which usually coincides with the rut coming into full swing........in other words, the best time to bag a big buck! Still, a bummer for those who are turners and hunters like myself!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 11-03-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

non hunters. We had the same problem with boy scout events.

Before I retired I lived in a redneck hunting society that also worked. Several dedicated hunters hunted in the morning or evening and worked during the day.
    Fred

Brings to mind this old country classic song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok02ZZMCtPY

Now, quit your silly grinnin!!!

robo hippy

I'm not a hunter so for me it would be a no brainer. But from your perspective Roger I think the real question is, "Do you think all of the deer will be killed on opening day?" If you do, than go hunting, if you think there will be some still alive, then go to the symposium!

Around this area the first day of buck season is observed with more reverence than most legal holidays. Schools and businesses close for it. Here the first day is a Monday. Only a fool would schedule a public event for that day. But in other areas and circles, where hunting is not a passion, things are scheduled with no regard for such rural traditions. In turning, I would expect a higher proportion of nonhunters than some activities, but also more hunters than in such activities like stamp collecting or model railroading. I would expect most people who are involved in the saw mill and lumber business are hunters. Woodturning is related to those and such conflict scheduling of a show that people plan day trips to attend is simply poor business planning.

Steve, I'm trying to think of an analogy: Like skipping the first day of a show, having Thanksgiving on another day, etc. Tradition comes to mind. In NY where I come from, certain authority blue types have restricted hunting in certain areas, until it affects them by missing shrubbery, ticks, car accidents, etc. Typical. There is a stretch of road here that has the highest deer strikes per mile in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Brings to mind this old country classic song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok02ZZMCtPY

Now, quit your silly grinnin!!!

robo hippy
    Well.......I never heard that song before! He & Jake may not go huntin' cause they gotta chase women...........but I only chase those those deer [read not dear] which have antlers!!!

Last edited by Roger Chandler; 11-04-2016 at 1:03 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Would be a no brainer for me Roger. I'd be in the woods!!!!