Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Using Cutlist Plus Software?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I know you mentioned that you don't like Sketch-Up (what?!?! ) but I've used the CutList plug-in for and it works ok once you mess around with it a little while. For free, I'm not going to complain but it does get me going in the right direction. I had one instance with a vanity I was building and I couldn't get it to move two little drawer fronts off the 4th sheet of (totally unnecessary) plywood no matter what I did. Other than that, the other 3 sheets were optimized pretty decently but I was able to easily fit those two drawer fronts. Anyway...just wanted to point that out even though it doesn't pertain to you.
    I use Soildworks. SketchUp is painful after you learn a real 3D modeling software.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Ben, upgrades aren't free but I do recall the cost was minimal

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Ben, upgrades aren't free but I do recall the cost was minimal
    Okay so thats something to keep in mind as well. How often do they update the app and try and get you to pay more.

Doug,
    Looks like they took code away from that web site.

I have an older Gold Version (2009) that still works very well for me
    I have not updated since the cost to upgrade is $144.95 and the newer version lacks significant improvements that would be of benefit to me.

I've only had one upgrade in about 7 years of using it, Ben.

Bob,

They took down the source code but the executable is available and was still being supported by the author as of last May.

Doug

I could upgrade, but not for free. I don't need the chance losing my templates or template compatibility and have to build new ones. I still use Office 2007 and windows 7. I used XP until I was forced to upgrade.

When I export an entire job with multiple materials, edit the data in excel, and import into Cutlist Plus in minutes, I have no desire to risk an upgrade.

I could upgrade Cabinet Vision, but that's 15k I'd rather buy beer and tools with.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    Ben

I just wanted you to be aware of Cutlist341, available for free at http://www.delphiforfun.org/Programs/CutList.htm. I have never used the commercial program that you mentioned, so I cannot compare them. I understand from the web that the commercial program is a bit more polished. I can say that cutlist 341 is completely adequate for my use. Like Jim, I mainly use it to lay out cuts on sheet goods.

Doug
    I use Cut List as well. It is free and does a better and faster job than I can do figuring the most usable cut layout on sheet goods. I have not used it on anything but sheet goods.

Now, If i just have time to get the dang VFD installed on the new to me saw I would be doing great!
    Thanks,
    Brian

Ben,

I have Cutlist Plus Express - $39 right now. I bought it to make sure I get the most efficient use of sheet goods and only use it for that. I've been very happy with it and I'm sure it's paid for itself after a few projects. I really like that you can specify grain direction and have it factor that into its calculations.

I don't have any info about the Sketchup plugin.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    I could upgrade, but not for free. I don't need the chance losing my templates or template compatibility and have to build new ones. I still use Office 2007 and windows 7. I used XP until I was forced to upgrade.

When I export an entire job with multiple materials, edit the data in excel, and import into Cutlist Plus in minutes, I have no desire to risk an upgrade.

I could upgrade Cabinet Vision, but that's 15k I'd rather buy beer and tools with.
    Oh I hear ya, if it aint broke, dont fix it. I just didnt know if upgrades were free or if they cost money, and if so how much they charged for them. I emailed Cutlist and they said for now upgrades are free for 90 days and they are hoping to implement an upgrade purchasing process in the next few months. Not sure exactly what that means though.

I mainly use it for organizing and rough cutting parts.

I find the layout tool great for plywood but pretty useless when I'm staring at a stack of boards.

Robert, what works best for boards is to treat them as offcuts that get used first, otherwise the sw will assume that they are the same size and you have a never ending supply. Bit of a pain but if minimal waste is your main driver, its the only way I can make it work for me. Does mean you've got to measure them all which is OK if you only have 10 or so

Unless you're painting the solid stock, a "cut list" for that is of marginal use other than minimum material calculation. Every board has to be considered by eye for color and grain to maximize the quality of the finished project and cut lists don't account for that very well. In fact, sometimes you have to cut "non parallel" to a natural edge for your first length-wise cut to get a good component. IMHO, of course, but I'm anal about this kind of thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I agree on the visible material in a project, but with a solid wood design, there's a lot of material that isn't seen where color/grain and even defects aren't important - undersides, insides, structural components etc. It really depends on what is most important to you - your time or the cost of materials