Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: A new player in the steel spined 14" bandsaw game

I told him most of what I make is small boxes but also most of what I do will be resawing. He feels that enjoyment factor is so enjoyable and different from lesser saws I will be glad to have spent the money. I'm wondering if there is really THAT much difference. He lives far from me or I'd just go see for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sutherland View Post
    I told him most of what I make is small boxes but also most of what I do will be resawing. He feels that enjoyment factor is so enjoyable and different from lesser saws I will be glad to have spent the money. I'm wondering if there is really THAT much difference. He lives far from me or I'd just go see for myself.
    You are leaning over into what I consider a value assessment which is different for everyone. The 14" steel spined saws will all likely get you here you are going, the larger saws add speed and capacity. I think one of the most important things for each individual is deciding on a reasonable budget and doing their best to work within it. It is easy to get caught in budget creep (or budget landslide) on internet forums and "bigger, stronger, faster, better" is always intriguing but it isn't always the best choice for everyone and the work they do. I like bandsaws, it has really been a hobby within a hobby for me I buy bandsaws just to experience them and then sell them on unless they warrant a more permanent place. 75% of what I do on a bandsaw could be done on a Delta with a riser and a 1.5hp motor a much higher percentage with an Asian import 17/18" saw with 2hp. I do identify the idea of "pleasure to use" and I suppose it is a little like Festool vs Dewalt in that one has to decide how much "pleasure" is worth. Just listening to you in the thread I have a feeling that one of the good 14" saws would work out very well for you.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I know once I started with Festool I really enjoyed woodworking at a new level. I love working with my SawStop and after the Shopsmith I look forward to projects. My electrician informs me I don't have the capacity to run overhead 220 radiant heaters and a saw. Looks like the 10-326 and the sale is at the right time.

<p>
    Hi, hopefully, this thread is still active.Looking at either the Grizzly 817 or Rikon 10-353-14&quot;. I want 14&quot; resawing if possible and these both do that. The Rikon gives 3hp and the Grizzly 2hp. I also want to run at 220/240V. For the Grizzly that requires a new mag-switch, which including separate shipping adds $156. Additionally, CircleSaw can ship for less. The Grizzly 817 is on sale pencils out at $1490 including freight and the 220V mag-switch. The Rikon through CircleSaw $1422. Unless I'm not getting something, the Rikon is the way to go with an extra HP and a 5-year warranty vs 1-year for Grizzly. The GO817 would do what I want I'm pretty sure, but it's just not looking too competitive.</p>
    <p>
    Am I missing anything?</p>
    <p>
    Thanks</p>
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-19-2017 at 8:12 AM.