Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A new player in the steel spined 14" bandsaw game

I guess I'm trying to justify almost double the price for a saw that would adds minimal resaw capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    ...Rikon....
    Hey Bandsaw Man, do you know if upgraded guides are available for the 18" Rikon 10-345? I've had one for a long time and got used to the guides but would like to try updated guides if available. I couldn't find new guides through google but I didn't call Rikon yet.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    The saw I have has not been in production for a few years. I am sure that by now, Rikon has improved the design over my model. I remember having read that somebody (maybe Rikon) has retrofit kits for the terrible blade guides.
    Rikon completely redesigned their guides in 2016, showed them at IWF and they are on their newest models. The guides they had were OK for their budget saws since otherwise they were a great deal but were out of place on their more expensive saws. As bearing guides go I quite like the new ones.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Hey Bandsaw Man, do you know if upgraded guides are available for the 18" Rikon 10-345? I've had one for a long time and got used to the guides but would like to try updated guides if available. I couldn't find new guides through google but I didn't call Rikon yet.

JKJ
    I have only seen the packaged upgrade from Rikon for their 14" saws, that said the new 18" 10-342 has updated guides very similar to the 14" versions so they may have/be planning a packaged upgrade or Rikon may be able to sell them to you as parts, that is assuming the mounting is the same.

IIRC Carter sells an upgrade for the 10-345.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sutherland View Post
    I guess I'm trying to justify almost double the price for a saw that would adds minimal resaw capacity.
    If you only consider the resaw height metric then it is hard to justify any of the upper end 14" steel spined saws over the 10-326 but note that is far from the only difference. When you take in the entire saw (hp, weight, foot brake etc) it becomes clear where the extra money goes BUT each individual has to decide for themselves. The 10-326 is a great saw for the money and can do most of the things the average woodworker needs to do with a bandsaw. I personally think many woodworkers short the budget on bandsaws but I have a biased perspective. The 3 saws in question are definitely a step up from the 10-326 BUT one also has to consider that $1500 opens up some of the 17/18" saws which may be a better fit if you have another sq ft or two of shop space...

In the end I expect the G0817 is a fine saw and will add a third serious competitor at the $1500 14" price point and it will come down to minutia for anyone choosing between the three.

Well it looks like I'm down to 3, the 326 353 from Rikon or the 817 from Grizzly. I have to check the frt on the Rikon because it looks like they charge 150 for the residental liftgate service plus another $300+ for freight to Wa. The 817 and 326 seem pretty close in price.
    Last edited by Bill Sutherland; 02-20-2017 at 5:54 PM.

Well it looks like I'm down to 3, the 326 353 from Rikon or the 817 from Grizzly. I have to check the frt on the Rikon because it looks like they charge 150 for the residental liftgate service plus another $300+ for freight to Wa. The 817 and 326 seem pretty close in price.
    Check Circle Saw in Houston, they ship residential liftgate for $150 total. The 10-326 should cost you about $1,000 shipped and the 817 and 10-353 should be between about $1450 and $1500 shipped.

I see where they charge for the residental plus the liftgate but they also have a "freight" estimator at checkout. That's additional $341. Unless I'm missing something. I do see Grizzly has a couple of the older models at free shipping but if I am going that route I'd go for the newest version. To confuse matters more, my local dealer has the 326 at $899!!

I see where they charge for the residental plus the liftgate but they also have a "freight" estimator at checkout. That's additional $341. Unless I'm missing something. I do see Grizzly has a couple of the older models at free shipping but if I am going that route I'd go for the newest version. To confuse matters more, my local dealer has the 326 at $899!!
    I could swear that is different from the way it was a couple of months ago when a friend bought from them BUT at that price point I would be looking at a 17/18" saw. That being the case I would look hard at the Laguna 14BX /2.5hp which is available from Rockler for 1574 shipped or wait until they have it on sale for 10% off. The 10-326 is a great saw for the price and with the new guides I really like it at the price point.

This is getting tough. The 14bx is $1,399 at Acme with no tax and free shipping!! Pretty close to the 326 and less tha the other two
    Last edited by Bill Sutherland; 02-20-2017 at 11:00 PM.

This is getting tough. The 14bx is $1,399 at Acme with no tax and free shipping!!
    Is that the 1.75 hp or 2.5hp?

$1,259 for 14BX at Woodcraft!!

1.75hp which may be fine for my small jobs but I do have 220 available and I think it's $100 more for that.

Now the question, the BX, 353, 326 Or the GO817. The 353 is a bit more than the other three.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I could swear that is different from the way it was a couple of months ago when a friend bought from them BUT at that price point I would be looking at a 17/18" saw. That being the case I would look hard at the Laguna 14BX /2.5hp which is available from Rockler for 1574 shipped or wait until they have it on sale for 10% off. The 10-326 is a great saw for the price and with the new guides I really like it at the price point.
    So you really like the 14 BX 2.5? Could you mentally justify it when you could probably get a similar 17 inch machine from Grizzly for nearly the same $?

I say this being drawn strongly to the 14 BX but not pulling the trigger because it feels a bit undersized.