Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: A new player in the steel spined 14" bandsaw game

There's a old Walker Turner in the Spokane CL but it looks pretty beat. 14" for $300.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    No...My calculus is not exactly rational. I am debating between the 14 BX, 17 inch Grizzly, 20 inch Powermatic 81, Older 20 inch Delta, and a few other choices. I have an excellent lead on an Oliver 192, and have a good lead on a sixteen inch vintage Walker Turner. Thinking I will sell my Jet 14 inch when I get the new band saw. Each potential choice has a lot of potential ups and downs.
    Get the PM81, Delta 28-350 or 192 and be done with it, those saws are a class above to say the least, just pick the one in the best condition and get to cutting.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Get the PM81, Delta 28-350 or 192 and be done with it, those saws are a class above to say the least, just pick the one in the best condition and get to cutting.

If that is your opinion, that might just make things really easy for me. I really strongly prefer the feel of the Older American saws, methinks that is the route I will take.

Thanks!

If that is your opinion, that might just make things really easy for me. I really strongly prefer the feel of the Older American saws, methinks that is the route I will take.
    Thanks!
    There is no question you would be getting more saw. I, however, am not one to simply say older is the choice for everyone. Some people prefer the new experience, no dealing with the logistics of getting it in your shop, it should be plug and play and it has a warranty. With an older saw you have to know what you are getting and prepare for any issues you may have. Again, condition is king in these cases. Buying older used is a matter of knowing what you are getting and knowing what you are getting into. While it is probably not the best saw of the three I am a fan of the Delta 28-350 (it is the curvy one) the newer squared off versions I don't like as much. Let us know more about the saws you are looking at and hopefully we can guide you in the best direction. Old saws can be a dream come true or a nightmare but a lot of old machine aficionados will gloss over the nightmare portions.... I suggest you start a new thread about the quest.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

There is no question you would be getting more saw. I, however, am not one to simply say older is the choice for everyone. Some people prefer the new experience, no dealing with the logistics of getting it in your shop, it should be plug and play and it has a warranty. With an older saw you have to know what you are getting and prepare for any issues you may have. Again, condition is king in these cases. Buying older used is a matter of knowing what you are getting and knowing what you are getting into. While it is probably not the best saw of the three I am a fan of the Delta 28-350 (it is the curvy one) the newer squared off versions I don't like as much. Let us know more about the saws you are looking at and hopefully we can guide you in the best direction. Old saws can be a dream come true or a nightmare but a lot of old machine aficionados will gloss over the nightmare portions.... I suggest you start a new thread about the quest.
    I will. Wanting to do this once and do it right...was thinking of a smaller saw and thinking for a moment about a Powermatic 141 or a 14 inch walker Turner, but the 141's have come up in price and I want more re-saw capacity.

I would actually prefer to drag it home and rebuild it myself in some ways...will start another thread when I pull the trigger...

I will. Wanting to do this once and do it right...was thinking of a smaller saw and thinking for a moment about a Powermatic 141 or a 14 inch walker Turner, but the 141's have come up in price and I want more re-saw capacity.

I would actually prefer to drag it home and rebuild it myself in some ways...will start another thread when I pull the trigger...
    I am a big fan of the 141, it just tickles me to look at the tensioning area and compare it to a 14" Delta, it makes the Delta look like a toy. But it does have limited vertical height below the guides. 141/143s are indeed overpriced these days, I have bought Delta 28-350s for what a decent PM 141 would cost but the 141 has a well deserved reputation.

If you relish the thought of rebuilding one then forget new saws!

I see the Delta 28-350's come up for sale on Craigslist periodically - I was wondering what is the resaw capacity?
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bowman View Post
    I see the Delta 28-350's come up for sale on Craigslist periodically - I was wondering what is the resaw capacity?
    I'll say 12" but it is actually more like 11 1/2- 11 3/4" under the guides.

Often they are underpowered compared to what we want today and repowering them presents a small challenge. It has a dual pulley system and the motor has a relatively unusual shaft size and if you put a dual pulley on the new "standard" motor the pulleys will not line up. The simple thing is to go to a single pulley and use a cogged belt instead of a standard V to carry the power.

I am a fan of the 28-350 and though a PM81 is a slightly better saw they are more rare, command a significant premium, are more often beat down and parts are more expensive. The 28-350, PM81 and Yates J-120 were are "lightweight" welded steel saws built for the light commercial and tech school market and were much cheaper than large cast saws. The 28-350 was bought by more schools and often have lived an easy life, the PM 81/83 were used more in commercial and light industrial applications and often have been run into the ground. Plus I like the look of the 28-350 better,it still has some of the Art Deco lines from earlier Delta machines.

Now to throw this into a real tailspin a buddy of mine has a beautiful 18 inch Italian Laguna he loves and says he can't wait to use it because of the joy of the precision etc. He feels it has taken his enjoyment for woodworking to a new level. Anybody have experience with one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sutherland View Post
    Now to throw this into a real tailspin a buddy of mine has a beautiful 18 inch Italian Laguna he loves and says he can't wait to use it because of the joy of the precision etc. He feels it has taken his enjoyment for woodworking to a new level. Anybody have experience with one of these?
    I have had the ACM built Laguna saws and the Centauro built Minimax saws and they are indeed a pleasure to use. The Minimax is built heavier and are the best of the current Italian built saws. Both of them as well as Felder and Agazzani are worth looking for in the used market and you can buy the Felder, Minimax and Laguna new. It is simply a matter of where you want to set your budget.

I got a chuckle on how he said he would find reasons to just go out and use the saw because he enjoyed it so much. I know in my case I've find that working with higher quality equipment exponentially increases the pleasure. Not sure there's that much pleasure difference between a Rikon 326 and the Laguna 18" Italian saw. I know there's quite a difference between my old Shop smith and my new Sawsrop PCS. For me,half the enjoyment of woodworking is using good machinery.
    Last edited by Bill Sutherland; 02-24-2017 at 5:55 PM.

I know in my case I've find that working with higher quality equipment exponentially increases the pleasure.

Just get one of these and be done with it...

machine34.jpg

Exactly what I need!! I'd have to sell one of my cars to dedicate garage space

80% oh my bandsaw use is resawing for making small boxes. This will replace a Shopsmith I'm selling.
    I got a chuckle on how he said he would find reasons to just go out and use the saw because he enjoyed it so much. I know in my case I've find that working with higher quality equipment exponentially increases the pleasure. Not sure there's that much pleasure difference between a Rikon 326 and the Laguna 18" Italian saw. I know there's quite a difference between my old Shop smith and my new Sawsrop PCS. For me,half the enjoyment of woodworking is using good machinery.
    I would say yes. Were I able to afford it I might well choose an 18 inch Italian saw. 18 inches seems like an awesome size for a home shop bandsaw, and I have used a Laguna 18 Italian. Rikon makes beautiful saws but nothing close to the Italian 18 Laguna.

Getting ready for some road trips myself... Powermatic 81 and 87 located in Chicago, 81 and 87 in both Amish country and Cleveland/Akron/Canton areas, 81 in Indianapolis, 81 in Cincinnati, sweet 87 I really like in Tennessee, 81 and 87 in Virginia and a few saws in PA. Also, a dozen of the fifties and sixties era Delta's ranging from basket case to pristine.

Should have finances and logistics in line and be getting an actual saw in the next month or two.

And I enjoy using good hand tools the most...But I think a proper bandsaw might change that perspective.