Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A new player in the steel spined 14" bandsaw game

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sutherland View Post
    1.75hp which may be fine for my small jobs but I do have 220 available and I think it's $100 more for that.

I am planning on 220 and a stronger motor regardless of the bandsaw route I take.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    So you really like the 14 BX 2.5? Could you mentally justify it when you could probably get a similar 17 inch machine from Grizzly for nearly the same $?

I say this being drawn strongly to the 14 BX but not pulling the trigger because it feels a bit undersized.
    That is the 64,000 question. I think the 2.5 hp BX is the best buy of the BX series and the 513 series has a 2 hp motor. I am also partial to the Laguna guides and ceramic guides in general. I think there is a reasonably balanced pro and con list for several saws in the $1500 range one really just has to decide which saw most closely matches what they are looking for and their use. The OP probably shouldn't overlook the Laguna 14/12 either.

As for mental gymnastics when it comes to bandsaws I can be gold medal worthy but I admit it is difficult for me to consider a 14" saw, or 17" saw for that matter as a primary bandsaw, as a result I may have differeing priorities than someone else in this price range.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Will someone define "Steel Spined Bandsaw" ?

Does this mean there are no cast components in the spine? I have no issues with my 14" Jet which has cast parts.

That was for the 1.75 and $90 more for 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Will someone define "Steel Spined Bandsaw" ?

Does this mean there are no cast components in the spine? I have no issues with my 14" Jet which has cast parts.
    Steel spinded is a saw where the primary spine structure is made of welded steel. Jet has made plenty of 14 cast saws (copies of Delta 14" saws) and now makes several 14" steel spined saws. The 14" cast saws modeled after the Delta 14" saw are fine little saws but don't have the rigidity of the current welded steel saws. This has nothing to do with the material and everything to do with the way they are designed. In general saws either have a cast frame or a steel frame I can't recall a saw with any significant amount of both in the structural part of the spine.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Just dropped by the local Woodcraft and now to make things even more interesting/confusing, the Rikons are going to be 15% off so that makes the 326 that I'm looking at about $850. The Lagunas were 10% off but he told me that was ending very soon.

Just dropped by the local Woodcraft and now to make things even more interesting/confusing, the Rikons are going to be 15% off so that makes the 326 that I'm looking at about $850. The Lagunas were 10% off but he told me that was ending very soon.
    Flip a coin, they are all good saws. Further, don't increase your budget unless you actually want/need the extra horsepower etc.

80% oh my bandsaw use is resawing for making small boxes. This will replace a Shopsmith I'm selling.

80% oh my bandsaw use is resawing for making small boxes. This will replace a Shopsmith I'm selling.
    Then leave money in the budget for a good carbide blade...

What would you suggest for resawing.

For the saws in question I would stay with a 3/4" blade and the best two 3/4" carbide resaw blades are the Lenox Trimaster and the Laguna Resaw King. The alternative is going with a impulse hardened spring steel blade (Spectrum Supply Kerfmaster, Iturra Bladerunner or Highland Woodslicer, they are all from the same blade stock) they are much cheaper leave very similar finish just dull MUCH faster, the carbide blades are far more cost effective long term.

Thanks for all you insight/help Van. Makes wading through all the choices much easier.

Thanks for all you insight/help Van. Makes wading through all the choices much easier.

Agreed! Getting ready to pull the trigger myself....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Agreed! Getting ready to pull the trigger myself....
    Have you decided which saw you're going with?

Have you decided which saw you're going with?
    No...My calculus is not exactly rational. I am debating between the 14 BX, 17 inch Grizzly, 20 inch Powermatic 81, Older 20 inch Delta, and a few other choices. I have an excellent lead on an Oliver 192, and have a good lead on a sixteen inch vintage Walker Turner. Thinking I will sell my Jet 14 inch when I get the new band saw. Each potential choice has a lot of potential ups and downs.