Thread: Dayton cyclone

Question Dayton cyclone

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRA...ollector-5E820 I currently have a Oneida SDG with a 3hp motor that I just set up last year, but I just got this Dayton as part of a machine swap. Specs show the CFM at 2400 whereas my Oneida is at 1500, but the have the same size of impeller I believe just 2x the power. So, my question is.... has anybody used one of these? Is it really pulling that many more cfms? It is 3phs which I have a RPC for a couple machines already, and maybe one more machine would be better so I'm not always turning the rpc on and off? Biggest con is I don't feel like going through setting up after doing that just last year.... Maybe I"m just lazy. So do I keep it or let someone else put it to use.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Does the Oneida do the job for you?

You can become a SMC Contributor and sell the Dayton, (or Oneida) in our Classifieds forum.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

How do you know you can trust that "2400 CFM" specification to be useful? It's a "max" spec and not really meaningful without a fan curve...which Oneida does make available for their machines. That Dayton is also a "short cyclone" design which is tricky to optimize, to the best of my knowledge.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Oneida does the job now, but I'd like to get a wide belt in the near future and it would probably be a the end of the current line. Jim what do you mean by "optimizing"? I know there's been a lot of debates on the best shape of the cone?
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Jesse,research cyclone "cut point".Fabricating new cones aren't that big of deal,problem is lack of vertical space that longer cones take up.The amt of material and labor is negligible.Shipping size is another,albeit small issue as well.

The true "tell" is that the "Product Detail" says:

"This 2-stage central conical blower housing induces a cyclone to effectively separate heavy and light particles. Heavier particles drop into the drum and lighter particles are captured in the dust filter bag. . . . "

Though nearly impossible to achieve, the goal of a cyclone is to separate out ALL the particles- some cyclones do it better than others. There are plenty of reports here of people claiming their cyclone gets most of the dust (though, in reality, you can't see much of the very fine stuff )

What that tells me, and what many people have heard and experienced is that the short cyclones (Laguna, JDS, etc.) do not do a very good job separating out all but the heavy particles. What you end up with is not much better than a single stage DC with a fabric filter bag. The bag will fill quickly and likewise will clog quickly. That is a lose-lose situation- as the bag fills it no longer allows adequate air to flow so the poor separation you had to start with, gets even worse. And, you still have a messy bag to empty and clean, because while some dust will fall down into the filter drum, a lot of it will attach to and cake up on the inner surface of the bag. Also, while a 5 micron bag is better than the 20 micron filters found on many low-end single stage DCs, it misses half of the dust considered dangerous - dust that falls in the range of .5 - 10 microns.

The general accepted dimensions of gas/solid cyclones in industry is if the top barrel diameter is X then the height of both the top barrel and cyclone will each be 2X and the gas outlet will be 1/2X. The seperation can be very near 100% down to about 10 microns, below that it drops off dramatically which is the reason for good filters. The less optimized cyclones will see far higher filter loading which is the reason you see filter "cleaning" apparatus as part of the shorter cyclone packages.

Given these have the same impeller size, IF the impellers are the same design they will likely use very similar HP and run very similar fan curves assuming inlets and outlets are similar size, though with the bag (which chould be changed) the Dayton may have a CFM advantage due to lower backpressure as they sit. From my POV I would wait until I actually got a WBS and determine if the SDG is enough, if not I would start looking then. I bet the Dayton would not be an upgrade and given the bag filter it certainly is not as it sits.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.