Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handy Andy Tool Sets?

I had a red Happy Time tool box when I was around 7-8. I lost all of the tools but recently cleaned up the toolbox and gave it to one of my Grandsons. I sanded, primed and repainted it a bright red(as it was originally). Wish I had taken care of the tools.......but I was too young to know better.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got a Handy Andy tool set for my 10th birthday in 1965. I still have the hammer from the set. With these tools, and a few others, I made the racing sloop from L. Ben Hunt's book "Crafts and Hobbies".
    Last edited by Rob Matarazzo; 11-08-2016 at 10:42 AM.

My aunt gave my a Handy Andy set for Christmas when I was probably 6 or so, would've been early 1970's. I think it came in a wooden box. I'm pretty sure my mom still has the picture of me with it in my photo album.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Jim,it would be a LOT more useful than the original Handy Andy set,if you would go buy him a set of small,REAL tools that can actually saw,plane,cut and square and measure wood. I'd try to get him some soft pine as well. If he starts at a very young age,there is no telling how great a craftsman he could become(NOT that I can recommend that as a CAREER!! I was lucky,very lucky to essentially have a whole museum as a patron.) But,great work is worth doing ,no matter what the real vocation is.

Remember L. Ben Hunt's books w/ great fondness --- still bummed that I didn't discover _The Flat Bow_ until recently.