Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: next project?

next project?

Well, after the Book of Auger Bits......maybe something else for the shop? have a few "toys" to stash out of harm's way...
    toys.jpg
    Rosewood,Brass, & Steel.....the long bevel gauge is a 12" model. The box they are sitting on? Well, I was just going to add some holders, until I looked a bit closer..
    old box.jpg
    look around the bottom of the box. The box's bottom has busted out the sides and back. A cat had also did his business on the box. Box below is my Stanley No.45 box.

So, I scrounged around, found what I think will be enough Cherry scraps to build a better box. mostly 4/4 stuff..
    cherry boards.jpg
    The short board in front is a 3/4" thick one. Marked a center line on the thicker boards...
    wood supply.jpg
    There is a "bead board" I have also resawn down..
    bead board.jpg
    Might find some use for it in the new lid? First cuttings were done on the bandsaw (NOT doing it with a handsaw)
    first cutting.jpg
    And a second cutting..
    second cutting.jpg
    Noticed the bolt that holds the upper thrust bearing rolling across the table and unto the floor.....hate when that happens. Seems the bearing is "locked up" anyway. Bandsaw seemed to run better without the bolt...

The reason there is a shorter board from the resaw? Board was leaning over to one side at the start of the cut. Turned board around, and no more lean. Cut off the bad section. Boss needed errands run, so had to stop for a while. Twisted the sore knee while leaving the store,,,,OUCH.....am now seeing IF a little bit of Crown Royal Vanilla will help the knee feel better.....stay tuned, this project is just getting started....

Knee is feeling better this morning...might go and hide in the shop today....AFTER Lunch? Will TRY to get the rest of the cherry resawn, and a start on the work with the planes to get to S4S. May get a few cut to length, as that might help with the planes.....less wood to plane at a time. Have to wax the soles of the planes, too.

Shop still smells like a place where cherry pies were backed......good thing? At least it smells better than Walnut......

Maybbe by this evening, I can post a few more pictures....stay tuned.

Well, got 4 pieces surfaced S4S. Got the rest of the rough stuff all resawn. The first 4 were cut to a length I think I needed, we'll see how THAT goes. battery on the camera goes going out....back was getting stiff. Time for a break?

I try not to waste too much wood..
    IMAG0001.jpgEven some sap wood. Might be a bit rough to get any more out of this chunk.
    Wound up with a decent supply of 1/2" stock..
    IMAG0002.jpg
    The lighter sap wood might get used for a lid? The longer pieces needed cut to sizes. Longest ones are about 25-26" long. Cut a few @ 13" long, and square a few ends. After a little remodelling on the bench's top, I could start to surface the four 13" long pieces. Between the roughsawn sides, and the bandsawn sides, needed a bit of jack plane work..
    IMAG0012.jpg
    Before the shavings were flying. Stanley # 5c... Grain running every which way. Came back with a Junior jack ( not nearly as cambered) and then a #3 sized to smooth each face out. Checked the edges to see which was the straightest...Set up to joint some of the others..
    IMAG0011.jpg
    Set a combo square to the width of the narrowest end, mark a line and plane the other edge to match the width. Junior Jack to do most of the work, and then a few passes with that #3. Worked my way through the four main pieces..
    IMAG0013.jpg
    Not too bad a day. Which leaves all of these to do..
    IMAG0014.jpg
    Hmmm, well,.....maybe after a break? As for the remodel job?
    IMAG0008.jpg
    There is now a Planning stop in the shop. Made a dowel to size, top is cut at an angle. Old saw plate, screwed in place into the dowel. Should help with these thinner boards.

Lunchtime, and a long break after. Waiting on the camera to finish charging back up. Stay tuned...

Went through all of the "sap" wood pieces, cut them long ones to match the shorter ones.....jointed a few edges, flattened a few faces.....then the fight to get them and a cherry accent piece into the pipe clamps. One pipe clamp even refused to lock onto the pipe......it is now leaning against a wall. Had to hammer the panel flat while I clamped it up, was getting a bit squirrelly.....About made a Marine blush with all the cussing going on.

Making a panel to serve as a lid. Not sure IF it will be a raised panel, or..just a flat lid. I have enough "extra" Cherry, I could build a lid frame to house a raised panel in.....

Letting the dang thing sit in the clamps awhile.....film @ 2300 Hrs, ZULU.......

Well...stumbled back down to the scene of the crime...
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Brown piece is to be a cherry accent piece. Someday, I cut these long pipes down to something a bit more easy to handle..
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Twas the first hammer I could grab at the time. Not worried about the waffle face, as I will be working the panel over with a few planes.
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Yep, for the stuff I make...5' long pipes is a bit much. Need to find my pipe cutter.....

Snuck quietly back to the shop a bit ago......I gently removed the clamps from the panel.....did NOT hear any cracking going on..whew. Laid a few toys out for tomorrow, as well..
    out of the clamps.jpg
    hand cut dovetails on tap for tuesday. Needed the pieces for the sides cut to their lengths, with squared ends. I suppose i could have dug my way back to the big mitre saw
    blocked path.jpg
    Yep, can't get there from here. Was only needing a few crosscuts anyway....I got the GEM Mitre Box out of the cobwebs, and attached it to the now cleared off bench
    GEM.jpg
    Yes, that is the backsaw from Aldi's. I had to tighten the guides a bit, after the saw was installed
    guide.jpg
    So..I needed two sides @ 12-1/2" long, and 2 @ 11-1/2" long. I squared up one end, marked the length and cut the other end. Didn't do too hateful of a job
    saw cut.jpg
    But, after all, it is only Cherry. Toys for the dovetails tomorrow?
    toys.jpg
    Here is most of them. Mallet, chisels, and a Disston #4 rip backsaw need to be tracked down. That dovetail bit? That is what I use as a marking gauge to lay out dovetail parts. BTW: I do pins first..

I'll set that panel aside for a few days, before the planes can abuse it. Need to cut it to final size..AFTER I find out what that will be. Need to build the box first. Time to say "Good Night, Gracie.."

Well, I've slept on it awhile.....no "Honey-Dos for today. Might be a good day to just sit on the shop stool and make cherry flavoured saw dust? Might get a small plywood panel for the bottom. need to get the GEM off my bench, first....meed some elbow room. Hoping the camera has charged up enough. Wonder how long this will take, to make dovetails for four corners? Maybe by suppertime?

If that were my shop, my next project might be...shelving and a tool cabinet!

Actually that is how I know I've gone too far. I am out of storage. I have been sllloowwwlllyyyy divesting of stuff that's been replaced with a much cooler duplicate. That and winterizing are where all of the shop time has gone, but I'm not even getting enough of that right now. I'm jealous of the opportunity to steal away.

Well, first I laid out some tools, after clearing the decks..
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Matched a few ends together
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Laid out some pins..
    IMAG0004.jpg
    And a backsaw to split the lines, then some chisel work
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Until these showed up
    pins.jpg
    Then used the pins to lay out the tails, and saw and chisel the waste out, leaving the lines
    IMAG0009.jpg
    One down, three to go. Finally got all four corners done....then the camera died. So..
    IMAG0012.jpg
    So is right before the camera died. Still have a bit of fine tuning to do, and maybe cut a groove for the bottom panel to sit in......

Have the camera sitting here on the charger. Errands to run, anyway. Not too bad a day...

Suppertime is about over. Hoping the camera is about ready to go to work, again. Need to set up a jig, and plough a few grooves.

Joints will need fine tuning, too. Once I can get the bottom panel sized to fit, a glue up will be next. Then, figure out a few dividers on the inside, to hold the squares and gauges in place. Then decide on a lid, of some sort.....

Handles sticking up out of the bench? Those are the chisels I was using, the dog holes work nicely to keep them from rolling off the bench...and onto the floor. Now, IF I can get motivated to wander down to the shop......

Ok, still issues with the camera......Santa may have to bring me a new one? Had the four sides all dovetailed together..
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Ok, cleared the bench, set the "frame" over on the panel for the lid..
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Had to tear down the Stanley 45....still had the long rods, and cam rest, and a too wide cutter.....switched out to install the short rods, and a 1/4" cutter
    IMAG0004.jpg
    Couldn't find the "old" jig, so I made a new one..
    IMAG0006.jpg
    Screws into the ends where they will not effect the joints, but hold the piece in place. Candle wax on the fence and skates, and here we go..
    IMAG0007.jpg
    And wind up with a groove...
    IMAG0008.jpg
    Then switch to the next piece and repeat. I checked to make sure the grooves will line up..
    IMAG0010.jpg

I made a point of marking where every groove would go, as in a "B", on the inside of the assembled frame. It also marks that this is the inside of the frame. Cross the top of each joint is a line, and a pair of numbers. Helps when assemble with glue happens. Better look now, as this is as clean as the bench's top gets..
    IMAG0011.jpg
    Not too bad a day, better than yesterday was, at least. Need to start to fine tune the joints...tomorrow. I'm a little tuckered out.....stay tuned.

Plywood for the bottom panel has been bought....1/4" ( 5mm) Luann. A 2' x 2' sheet. Picked one out for the best grain they had. Expensive, too $3.67! Used my 10% Mil. Discount to make it a little cheaper in price.

Walking around the store.....back of the knee "popped" a couple times, made it a bit rough to walk out of the store. My fault for not using one of their shopping go-karts.

panel is now in the shop. IF the knee feels better tomorrow, I might get back at this little project..

Dry fits today. Got the plywood cut down to roughly the size needed....with a wee bit extra. Leftovers?
    extras.jpg
    Enough there for a few more box bottoms.
    Tried to install the bottom.....a trim here, and another there, try again....nope, more trimming. Used a Millers Falls No. 56B Block plane to smooth the edges straight. Finally could get a few clamps in place
    clamped.jpg
    I even got most of the gaposis fixed...not all, but most. Placed 6 clamps ( no glue, though)
    squared.jpg
    And checked the corners with a square. Then, I loaded up what is supposed to be inside this box..
    loaded up.jpg
    Just to see where any dividers might go. Seems to have plenty of room? Might add some other items, as well..
    Thumbscrews might be a problem, though..
    close up.jpg
    I'll work on this half of the box for awhile, maybe a glue later? Then I can work on that lid. Might have enough Cherry scraps to build the frame to hold that panel I glued up.

Took the day off to enjoy Veterans' Day. Maybe, since the GrandBRAT and GrandbratDIVA are staying this weekend, I might just slide down to the shop, and hide out all day. might even get something done....

Parts have been glued up, and are sitting under forest of clamps.......Even more than the last picture of them....

Letting things cure out fot today.....maybe tomorrow I can get the clamps off, and clean things up. Will get a couple photos after the clamps come off.
    Checked the lumber supply.....have enough to make a frame to hold a raised panel.....to build a lid. Will start on that, when the bench is cleared off again...