Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: festool domino versus $1300 of other tools

I have never made a M&T joint except with my domino. I like to make stuff, using tools is just the way to do that. Anything that makes it easier and more accurate is wonderful. If you don't feel that way, then it probably isn't a good choice for you.

And I have never had a domino fail.
    Occasionally I have had to use dowels because dominos just won't work, but that makes me unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Yea I love the idea of the 700 with the Seneca adapters and accessories but then the Domino becomes a crazy expensive tool. The 500 is already way expensive as it is. The 700 with adapters might push someone already on the fence to not even bother at all with one.
    Honestly, Festool is probably happy with that opinion, I say this since in the long run they will most likely sell the guy that buys a 500 a 700 later... I tried for a while to convince myself I didn't need the 700 but when the Seneca adaptors came out and people started to review them it became clear the 700 seemed like the clear choice for me despite the brutal upfront cost. That isn't to say the 500 isn't quite useful in itself, there was a time in history that we all had to muddle through with only a 500.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Honestly, Festool is probably happy with that opinion, I say this since in the long run they will most likely sell the guy that buys a 500 a 700 later... I tried for a while to convince myself I didn't need the 700 but when the Seneca adaptors came out and people started to review them it became clear the 700 seemed like the clear choice for me despite the brutal upfront cost. That isn't to say the 500 isn't quite useful in itself, there was a time in history that we all had to muddle through with only a 500.
    Ha ha of COURSE they are! Who's debating that?! They are making a KILLING off of their tools and are enjoying the heck out of it! But money is money and usually it is the main constraint for anyone buying any of these tools. Threads like this are simply for the fun/entertainment of discussing such things. They always end up being half helpful and the other half non-paid (or possibly some compensated) Festool fans patting themselves on the back and playing salesmen for the company. And Ive taken a big drink of the green koolaid myself, so I cant talk too bad about them, but lets just call it like it is and keep it real.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

"one thing I really like that can be done with the Domino and not really the FMT Pro is using it like a biscuit joiner for aligning individual panels in a large glue up"

You can use the Leigh for that purpose, just do the mortises, registering on the same face and it will fit fine. Just need to make you own floating tenons. The cost is a significant difference if you go used.....I suspect you could get the FMT pro for about 550 to 650 used with probably some extra bits and patterns, maybe even cheaper. There is smaller price drop off on a used domino. I have seen a number or posts where people dont use their Leigh anymore, so a Want to Buy ad will could get some responses.

There are some limitations on the Leigh, max 1/2 wide tenons and your are limited on the length of you stock in the vertical position. Sometimes you need to build a higher table top to do the tenon. Or go back to just handcutting them or use the domino.

As a cheaper alternative one could consider the Triton dual dowel joiner, Mafell makes their version but it is the price of the Domino XL.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

It all depends on how much you use floating tenons. I had a mortiser for years and I hardly ever used it so I ended up selling it to someone who used it a lot. Then again, if all you have is a hammer, you're going to be pounding a lot of nails, you might end up using it a lot just because you have one. Personally, I've never seen the need to own one and I have never felt like I was missing something. I just do things another way.

This is for the original post: Compared to the way you were making M/T with a router etc. it is much faster. As fast as you can use a biscuit joiner you can have the mortise in each piece done. What I didn't realize before I bought mine was how precise the domino is in applications. It is one of the tools I own that I would immediately replace if something happened to it. I sold my Mortiser, biscuit joiner and tenoning jig. Will I ever use the old school method again? Yes I would if a situation requires a tenon bigger than the domino can handle. I guess it's safe to say it is a game changer for me.Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Womer View Post
    I sold my Mortiser, biscuit joiner and tenoning jig.
    Also toss in the dado blade as well since I use dominos for cabinet carcass construction.

(Actually, I haven't sold any of these but I really should....)
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    dado blade
    But, but that's the Swiss Army knife of the shop!

Well I'll have to admit I broke out the dado blade (and and aux fence to bury it slightly into) to fix a problem I created because I wasn't thinking. This was last week, too, but I hadn't used it for a good year or two since then.

While I might actually one day sell the mortiser and tenoning jig, I kinda doubt I'll sell my dado blade and biscuit cutter. I do like reinforcing mitered picture frames with FF biscuits. Biscuits still have their place here and there but pretty seldom.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Well I'll have to admit I broke out the dado blade (and and aux fence to bury it slightly into) to fix a problem I created because I wasn't thinking. This was last week, too, but I hadn't used it for a good year or two since then.

While I might actually one day sell the mortiser and tenoning jig, I kinda doubt I'll sell my dado blade and biscuit cutter. I do like reinforcing mitered picture frames with FF biscuits. Biscuits still have their place here and there but pretty seldom.
    That is the problem with a lot of tools, once you get them it is hard to part with them. When you buy a different tool or machine that performs a similar function there is always that use case where the "old" tool is actually better and whether or not you ever actually need that particular use, at least for people like me, it is hard to get rid of.

If you want to get rid of your biscuit joiner, you can cut biscuit slots with a slot cutter. I put the slot cutter in my router table and do it. I don't use biscuits much. Mostly ff biscuits to reinforce miter joints.

Mike

[But I still haven't sold my biscuit joiner. Should get around to it - haven't used it in many years.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have the router bit for biscuits and never used it. The biscuit jointer is just handier for me. I even have the Ryobi detail jointer that does the r1, r2, r3. They are very handy

And as inexpensive as a good biscuit joiner is, IMO its easy to justify keeping it around if you already have one just in case and just for those right times when its the ticket.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    And as inexpensive as a good biscuit joiner is, IMO its easy to justify keeping it around if you already have one just in case and just for those right times when its the ticket.
    So does one keep a Lamello around or sell it?