Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Day Light Savings Time Sleep In

Although it is annoying sometimes, as a farmer/woodsman I find it useful in the summer. The days are longer when there's more to do, I think that's where and how it started.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

The Franklin idea was a only a comic piece mocking French society people sleeping late then burning candles in the evening.

The real reason for daylight saving is to increase economic activity. We all do more stuff in daylight, so more work and therefore more profit for those who collect it. Governments of all persuasions do it. That being said, it takes about 1 nights to adapt and three months to complain about it. Cheers

Time changes don't bother me but they always mess with the dogs. Dinner time is at 6 and they start bugging like clock work at 10 to 6. Today they were bugging at 10 to 5..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I guess everybody could move to Arizona.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have always liked DST. I love having more daylight after school, work, whatever in the evenings to do fun stuff. Switching back to Standard time in the winter is essential if you work outdoors, think construction, and don't light to work "under lights" in the morning or join the evening office commute. Seattle traffic truly sucks, and is getting worse every day, the difference between leaving a job site in the city at 3:30 PM and 4:30 PM amounts to more than twice the travel time.

I believe Daylight Savings Time was initiated to allow folks who work outdoors (farmers, construction, etc) to better utilize/maximize daylight vs artificial illumination thus saving energy. Apparently those who work indoors don't see the benefits. For me, DST provided the opportunity to get down to the beach and catch the evening "glass-off", work on outdoor projects, play some golf, or sit on the deck drinking wine and enjoying the evening outdoors.

Just MHO.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 11-06-2016 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    Although it is annoying sometimes, as a farmer/woodsman I find it useful in the summer. The days are longer when there's more to do, I think that's where and how it started.
    No, they're not. Still the same number of hours of daylight, no matter what the numbers on the dial say.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Time changes don't bother me but they always mess with the dogs. Dinner time is at 6 and they start bugging like clock work at 10 to 6. Today they were bugging at 10 to 5..
    +1. The dogs, like farmers and woodsmen, don't need no clocks to tell what time it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Why should I set my clock back an hour Then I'd be an hour off
    Unless you lived on the Navajo Reservation. They use the time changes. I do think that Arizona may be the only state that doesn't.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's not as happy with young kids and adjusting their sleep times!

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Unless you lived on the Navajo Reservation. They use the time changes. I do think that Arizona may be the only state that doesn't.
    Hawaii does not observe DST either.

Wish I could save an hour a day in the summer and use it in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Runde View Post
    Hawaii does not observe DST either.

I don't know if it is still true, but parts of Indiana didn't observe it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Its funny how people think the days are longer But the days are exactly the same, Same amount of daylight and darkness as the year before and the year to come. The only thing different is what the clock says. A true farmer gets up and goes to work at daylight and stops at dusk, what the clock says doesn't matter

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I don't know if it is still true, but parts of Indiana didn't observe it.
    Indiana is fully on DST--have been for 10 years now. Prior to 2006, the NW and SW corners (a few counties in each) of Indiana were on Central Time, observing Daylight Saving Time while the rest of the state was on Eastern Standard Time year-round. Those two corners (a few counties may have flip-flopped, I don't recall), remained on Central, and the bulk of the state began observing DST.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore