Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Poplar OK for file handles?

Is Poplar OK for file handles?

Guys,
    I could post this in Turning but files are mostly a Neander tool, so I was hoping for your advice. (But if I could post it in both forums, I would.) Here's the deal.....

I'm turning a set of new handles for my Iwasaki Carving Files. My original thinking was to practice making them in pine and then switch to walnut or maple or maybe cocobolo for the "real thing". Then I pulled out a scrap of Poplar. That "practice" handle came out so pretty - nice grain, nice color, easy to work - that I thought maybe I'd just use Poplar.

Poplar is soft, so I wouldn't even consider it for a chisel handle. But do you think it is strong enough for a file/rasp handle? Edit: I'm using a brass ferrule to protect against splitting.

I'd appreciate your inputs. As always, thank you!

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 11-06-2016 at 2:07 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Yep should be fine. I've even use pine without any real problems when lacking anything else. IMHO poplar is actually a pretty nice for this, its sturdy enough it should stand up pretty well but soft enough that you can pretty easily seat the tang in it. Some of the harder woods don't compress quite as well and actually have a bit harder time holding onto the file (walnut is fine as its not actually that hard but cocobolo you'd want to more carefully seat the file into it or its a bit more likely to come out).

Blog Entries
    Sometimes we worry too much about such things.

Sometimes the best way to find an answer to such a question is to just do it.

In my experience almost anything will work for a file handle. This includes a mushroom drawer pull, a corncob, a wine cork, a deer antler and many other first things to be within reach when a file handle was needed.

Pine works fine, so should poplar.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It does sound like maybe I'm overthinking things, doesn't it?

Thanks for sorting me out guys!
    Fred

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Lol Sometime I think "Overthinking things" is what we do best on these woodworking forms!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    It does sound like maybe I'm overthinking things, doesn't it?

Thanks for sorting me out guys!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Schneider View Post
    Lol Sometime I think "Overthinking things" is what we do best on these woodworking forms!
    Yeah, sometimes you're right about that Tom!

I only have 1 file with a handle. All the others ones, when I use them, I think, why haven't I made a few more handles. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    a corncob
    Those actually do make really nice file handles.

(Clears throat) There I was, just about to tackle the grueling 12 point crosscut saw filing job. As we clashed, I found that I was taking damage to the hands for the lack proper handle on my weapon(file). I begin to get worried, but no, there it was on the floor amongst the wood shavings and the cracker wrapper, a 1/4x2x3 pine block that I had cut from the end of a board for fun earlier that day. Though we had our differences, I pulled out my hand drill and forged an alliance between it and the file. We showed that saw how it is to be filed for crosscut. Who won, it's a toss up. But I still use my friend the pine block to this day, and I can saw miters faster than my brother who's miter saw is filed for rip. Thank you good people!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Liked that Brent!

Poplar is very Pop(u)lar for file handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Poplar is very Pop(u)lar for file handles.

Stewie, I just keep thinking of those gorgeous saws you make and thinking I should have some really attractive handles on my files and later, my chisels. Your work was one of my motivators.

Also, I really liked what the amber shellac did for the walnut I used for my new mallet! Thanks for the tip.

Fred

13. Poplar is okay.. I've tried to use such that.

poplar or poplar?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Poplar is soft, so I wouldn't even consider it for a chisel handle. But do you think it is strong enough for a file/rasp handle? Edit: I'm using a brass ferrule to protect against splitting.
    What kind of poplar, "true" poplar or yellow (tulip poplar)?

Yellow poplar heartwood can be quite durable. Hard and relatively heavy, too. I once made the mistake of making some deep brood boxes for my beehives out of yellow poplar. They were so much heavier than pine I decided not to use them. Those made from Eastern Red Ceder were much better. Of course, each tree can vary.

I have no experience with true poplar.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    What kind of poplar, "true" poplar or yellow (tulip poplar)?

Yellow poplar heartwood can be quite durable. Hard and relatively heavy, too. I once made the mistake of making some deep brood boxes for my beehives out of yellow poplar. They were so much heavier than pine I decided not to use them. Those made from Eastern Red Ceder were much better. Of course, each tree can vary.

I have no experience with true poplar.

JKJ
    Well, I don't honestly know John. I get it at the BORG. It often has a green color to part of a board.