Thread: Birch Yarn Bowl

Birch Yarn Bowl

It has been a while since I posted, but finally got back in the shop and made this yarn bowl as a gift for a fellow knitter. Got the wood from craigslist in 2009, white birch from a large tree that unfortunately had ring shake, so I haven't made much from it in the salad bowl category, but it's perfect for a yarn bowl. As it happened, this piece had only two tiny cracks.
    yarnbowl_small.jpgyarnbowl1_small.jpgyarnbowl3_small.jpg

Size is 8 3/8" outside diameter, 7 7/8 inside and 1/4" wall thickness, and 4 inches high.
    Thanks for looking!
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

Very nice!
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Yes, very nice!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Good to see you back turning and posting Maria , and a very nice bowl of some pretty wood, thanks for showing/sharing
    Have fun and take care

Nice, how did you put the "J" slot in?
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Thanks guys! Leo, thanks for looking, it's good to be turning again (finally cool enough down here!). Ralph, I drilled the end of the slot, the used a combo of coping saw, carving knife and Dremel to cut the slot. Thin walls weren't very helpful there, I was afraid I might snap the middle out a couple of times. Fun project, though!
    Maria

Nice bowl. Thanks for posting.

I made a yarn bowl of roughly the same dimensions out of a chunk of California live oak for my SIL. I made it so a large yard ball (round) would work well. She is using it with regular skeins that are oval (direct from the store). It seems to work, but not as well as if the ball would be round. Maybe I should have shaped it like a large calabash bowl for the longer skeins.

Thanks Brice,
    I've been inspired by all the yarn bowls posted recently, including yours and Leo's. I sized mine to hold the oval skeins, we'll see how it performs. It's with its new owner now
    Maria