Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pricing furniture

Blog Entries

Pricing furniture

Ladies and Gents,

Is there a book / reference that any of used to price your furniture?

I'm going to do quite a bit of walking / calling / browsing the internet for customer prices of custom pieces. I'm trying to sell to interior designers and open to both commercial and residential. More interested in commercial, but we'll see how the future pans out.

I'm an engineer full time, so I like calculating things, but my problem is:

1) What takes me 4 hours will take a pro 1 hour
    2) I don't have an established brand, the pro does

Hard to calculate these things. Maybe find similar pieces around my market and drop the price by 10%? Another thing I've been toying with is taking materials + consummables + a new tool that I want = price since I'm just starting out.

I know this question has been asked a million times, I apologize for re hashing. However, the only thing that came up in searching were conversations about etching and sandblasting.

Cheers and thanks,

Andy

I suspect that you're going to be very disappointed if you are truly just starting out and trying to target interior designers as your primary customers, especially for commercial work. Interior designers want established suppliers with known product offerings, quality and lead times. They're not likely to risk their reputation on a new guy, and certainly not for a 10% savings. Do you have a portfolio? Have you done commercial work? Are you equipped and do you have the time, finances, and resources to break into the market? Lots of questions that you need to answer honestly to yourself to try what you are proposing.

What takes a Pro 4 hours to make 1 of takes a machine or cheap labor 1 hour to make 4 of.

You'll have the strongest brand locally. My only profitable sales have been to find buyers who happen to value my story or my style (or their familial relationship to me ), or to make things where there is a huge disparity between effort and market price so i can still make good $$ by underselling relative to established brands/makers (e.g., large, slab tables.)
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-08-2016 at 3:02 PM.

This sort of question gets asked a lot and there are many different philosophies on pricing. Your specific question made me think of a different tack :

Take something you'd like to make to an Interior Designer and ask what they would pay for it. (You may also get some advice on how to make it differently or what might be more popular.)

They will, likely, give you an extra low price but maybe not. If the price they give wouldn't be worthwhile for you, increase your price to the lowest price to where it would be worthwhile. If you find you could make it for that, make and sell a few. After awhile, begin to raise your prices. You'll know when you've gone too far because your sales will fall off significantly.

(I realize my answer is a perfect example of how such a question involves many open ended variables.)

As my old boss used to say about pricing; "If you are in the business and you don't get a 'no' now and then - you are not asking enough."

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the replies.

I will be chatting with some interior designers soon. Also consignments.

Does anyone use a certain business book / reference to come up with ideas on how to present and price? A good book for furniture / architecture styles throughout the ages?

I will be clear with the customer that I am capable of only small orders / a few pieces and that my timeline might be drawn out. There is a lot of interest in the 'local' artist and I have heard interest in custom pieces. The problem is when the 'walk the walk or talk the talk' comes into play: i.e. my cost vs customer's perceived value.

I built a rather 'cheap' table for a coffee shop recently instead of focusing on the perfection quality that takes so long to achieve. I'm trying to find myself and where I want to go. I think as long as I'm not hurting the customer, losing money (defined as materials + consummables for my first few pieces), or taking too long that I should be able to find my spot in the economy.

I am nervous though. : )

Overall, I think people that build furniture think their work is never good enough. I think in reality, customers are stoked to see what you built.

Cheers,

Here's my 'quickie' that I put together. About $75 in materials, let's say $20 in consummables (hard to measure). I gave it to the coffee shop (good friends) because I wanted to see how it worked, what people thought of it, and get some professional photos of it. I had the poplar lying around and steel is cheap. Trying to get some pro photos this week. Anyway, I'd sell this for $300. What do you think?

Link:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BMQIjLTj...lueriderdesign

Blog Entries
    What are the expectations of interior designers?

Should I have printed brochure / portfolio when I arrive?

Before you quit your job or invest any money's check out this video.
    Its kinda rude but there is some truth to it.
    I like the table it looks robust.
    Good luck
    https://youtu.be/VBi4zroEj1w
    Aj

Andy,
    How many hours do you have in the table?

Blog Entries
    AJ,

Thanks, I'll check out the video. I'm not quitting my job anytime soon : )

I work remotely, 4 days a week. Trying to use this to my advantage.

David,

I have between 8 - 10 hrs, but I'm getting faster with every piece. Nicer tools make a difference too.

(I sanded off the saw marks you see in the photo)

Blog Entries
    Commercial and residential cabinetry have nothing to do with furniture..............

I like the table a lot. Very nice design in the steel. I don't know your market but it's probably worth more than $300 where I live IF you could place it in the right shop. Andrew, is the leg design an original, done by you? Did you coat it, or is it going to rust?
    Mark McFarlane

$300 for the table doesn't make financial sense. You said $100 in materials and 8-10 hours labor. So you're paying yourself $20/hr. That doesn't take into account overhead (taxes, insurance, electricity, heating/cooling, tool wear and maintenance, etc.) which adds up.

Read the other threads about making your hobby your business. You have insurance and taxes and small business etc setup right?

There isn't a secret book to price your stuff (but if you find one let me know!). It depends on the market in your area. Supply/demand

I don't think undercutting is going to be the way to go but I don't know your market. My eyes opened a couple weeks ago when I took a tour of a shop here in CLE that specializes in reclaimed furniture. The place was huge and sold stuff for big bucks. Think practically production line live edge tables, trendy bar stuff, etc. huge CNC's the works. Made me a little sad to see it.

It's also going to be stressful to do try and pull off a full time job and furniture making. I know when I was working (I'm a stay at home dad now) my phone kept me working a lot when i was not at work - emails, phone calls, fires to put out. What other commitments do you have? Family, wife, other hobbies? Be conscious of turning a fun passion into work.

Do some homework here. Lots of information to go through.

Blog Entries
    Mark,

Thanks! I also wonder if I could sell it for more. I need to try selling it for more and seeing what happens. I can always lower, but can't raise : )

Matt,

I don't have insurance yet, but I have the license and the LLC.

I agree I'm working for cheap right now. Again, hard to tell how slow I am. My job is more or less one that I work 8 hours a day then go home. There are times when it is around the clock, but those aren't often.

I'll keep browsing and thank you everyone for your help!

Cheers,

One important thing to consider is your market and your products position and presentation to that market. What you appear to be targeting are higher end thus higher net worth individuals (or organizations). This is imho fairly practical because as a sole proprietor its difficult to compete directly on value (To Prashtun's comment "takes a machine or cheap labor 1 hour to make 4 of" although that might well be 40 or 400). The downside is that they are a somewhat more particular market.

In order to capture those users you have to figure out how to appeal to them. Part of this is product but a lot of it is marketing, and the marketing is entirely non-obvious if you're not invested in it (frankly I'm mostly baffled by large parts of it.. but progress can be made).

Here are a couple of resources I've found somewhat useful in understanding why some people in that demographic (and indeed why people in ~most~ demographics to a greater or lesser extent) buy what they buy.

Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value (and How to Take Advantage of It)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0809078813/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

I've had a number of people also recommend:
    https://www.amazon.com/Marketing-Aff.../dp/0070610479
    But I found it to be somewhat less useful, amusing but not as directly applicable as the above (generally the amz reviews were fairly accurate imho). YMMV of course.

This isn't a silver pricing bullet, and I don't think one of those exists. Indeed pricing is only one facet of product placement, a rather important one but story and presentation also play a significant role.

Good luck on