Thread: I have ZERO clue as to what to use......

I have ZERO clue as to what to use......

First and foremost, Thank You for taking the time to read this. I am asking for you help because I have no idea on the best product to use to finish my idea. This is my very first project like this and I am flat out clueless on what to use on the next step. I still have a lot of sanding left before I am ready to put on a varnish but, I do not have a clue what one is the best.

Just so you know this is a cypress sinker that was in the bayou for only God knows how long. It is 100% natural in its shape from the erosion of the tide going in and out over the years. The colors on this thing are unreal. I know you cant tell right now. You just have to trust me. This is the reason why I am looking for the very best product out that would bring out the natural colors locked away. Leading me to ask you for your help. I do not want to go to Lowe's and just get "product A" off the shelf. I am afraid to choose an inferior product. I want the very best made.

I know I will never find another piece of cypress like this again in life. Heck, I cant even find a picture of one anywhere on the net this complicated. These pictures do it NO justice. I got tired of counting at 480 individual sections on this piece. Even though many run into others, each one is its own.The Top is only 42 inches long and 23 inches wide also. With the base on, it it is close to 4 feet high. I have tried to take pictures to document just how complex it is but ,the camera does not do it justice. I will have to wait till it is done.

What products do you all recommend as the best to use to keep the wood a natural color? Any help is appreciated.

P.S. The last photo is my "proof of design" picture. So you get an idea of what i am thinking about doing with it. The very bottom piece of wood is not part of it. Thank You again for your time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ed Funk; 11-10-2016 at 1:04 PM.

Ed, is it going to be used inside or outside? Cypress is naturally resistant to rot etc as you know so I'd be tempted to leave it natural or use a penetrating oil coating that doesn't build up. With the complex shapes you have in this piece varnish (water based or oil) would not be my choice as you may have to re-coat it and that would be an almost impossible job. I'd be looking more at an oil coating for ease of application but I can't think of one that wouldn't change the color.

Ed, if it is going to be inside out of the weather and sun, you could consider a thin coat of the most colourless shellac you can get hold of. I think you would have to spray it to get everywhere the eye can see. It should be enough to bring it to life. I not jumping off Andy's boat either though, so I'm going to put it back on you to trial some finishes on scraps and see what happens. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Indoor or outdoor is pretty important, but for the latter, a penetrating oil finish designed for the purpose would be my choice. That would also work fine for indoor. That said, for outdoor...you cannot keep the piece from getting gray fade "forever" unless you periodically strip, sand and refinish. Exposure to UV and other oxidation processes will eventually do their work. This is less of a problem for indoor if you keep it out of sunlight.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It is going to be on the inside Sir. I think I misspoke before. I want the "wet" but natural look. That is when the real color of the wood comes out. Right now all the different tones kinda look the same. Only when I wet my finger does the real color shine through. Sorry about not wording in properly before. As I said I am new at this.

I would spray it with a light coat of de-waxed blonde shellac, which will pop the grain and bring out the different colors. Shellac is fast drying and color fast. It will not yellow.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Just keep in mind that shellac will yield a gloss finish. If that's what ya want, then go for it. If not, I'd be inclined to use boiled linseed oil (BLO) which will give a wetted look without the high gloss.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I personally think any glossy finish will be too much. There's so much texture there, My eye wants a satin or matte finish. I would spray seal it with shellac and then spray it with a matte finish.

I think your key in presenting this is arranging it with portrait lighting as you have in pic 1. Directed lighting will showcase the topography. To that end, a gloss finish IMHO will detract and create undesirable reflections.

Agree with Prashun that matte is needed. With more nooks and crannies than an English muffin the changing shadows will always be more entertaining than sparkey light.

Thank You all for taking the time out of your busy day to respond. I realize now after your comments how lucky I am to have found this site. I now will go out use all the advise and pick up many different products to see what one is the best. I am leaning toward the linseed oil though with the spray at the end. Looking up before and after pictures that seems perfect. But, I am still going to get a bunch of things.

The best part is I didn't even think of the lighting aspect till it was mentioned. Now I get to go down the bayou and find myself my Cypress that I can make some lamps out of to shine on top and shows all 8 layers on the right hand side. Funny thing, This project just gave me a hobby for life. I already thought of another piece to do for my mother. I will upload pictures today to see what you all think about the design. THANK YOU all again. ​ I cant wait to show you it when it is done.
    Last edited by Ed Funk; 11-12-2016 at 5:25 AM. Reason: I suck at typing...lol

Guys, the coat of shellac will cause almost zero reflection as there is too much texture breaking up the gloss. At the most the piece will glitter in the light. I'm still with Scott on this. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.