Thread: Confirm my Suspicion: A fiber engraved this?

Confirm my Suspicion: A fiber engraved this?

Got contacted by a local company looking to have an item engraved. Evidently they've shopped around but they'd like to stay local to "save on shipping". They had a sample made up. Included is the picture. I'm more curious than anything, because the order doesn't seem all that profitable, but this was done with a fiber right?

Liberty Mutual Engraving.jpg
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

How about some context Ross. What material is that? What is the actual size? The hatch in the recesses looks odd to me, almost like some type of dithering from a bitmap instead of a vector file. Or, it could be a 90 degree and 0 degree hatch with wide spacing that has been enlarged.

it does look like dithering of bitmap file.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    How about some context Ross. What material is that? What is the actual size? The hatch in the recesses looks odd to me, almost like some type of dithering from a bitmap instead of a vector file. Or, it could be a 90 degree and 0 degree hatch with wide spacing that has been enlarged.
    It's a Amazon Echo. Made of some sort of plastic. Called Amazon to ask what material and the statement was "Plastic". I figured CO2 was unlikely because who the heck would have engraving like? Makes no sense. Figured it had to be some sort of fiber laser.

And obviously because these things are $180 a pop, I don't get the luxury of testing them and the job's not profitable enough for me to "treat" myself and buy one (which I would just build into the price).
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20

I engraved a bunch of Echo's last year for one of my promo customers. I didn't hit 'em that hard, I just grazed 'em enough to mark 'em.
    (did them with the GCC)

I don't think a fiber did that, but a gantry didn't either...

I'll bet $5 on a galvo C02... and they forgot the 'follow edge once' option...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Given that it's plastic I'm inclined to think it was a dithered bitmap on a co2. The echo is round enough and the image is even enough that it was probably done on a rotary device. I haven't done much with plastic on my fiber but what I have done has been surface color changing without any depth and I've not seen deep engraving on plastic turn out that sharp.

Galvo via rotary- the seams are way visible...(in the Libery "y" too) It's 45/135 hatch I believe too, although the lighting makes some areas look like 0/90... or could be either, or both. But definitely galvo!

new-2.jpg

edges are overburnt from the beam's direction change, much like I'm trying to eliminate with my fiber

new-3.jpg

Last edited by Kev Williams; 11-10-2016 at 6:53 PM.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Kev, Do you happen to have a photo of what it looked like engraved with a gantry CO2?

I wish I did, but I don't think I took a pic... My guy told me HE was told the Echo's were ABS. IIRC I just very lightly engraved them, and they looked pretty good, but I know for sure I didn't engrave them very deep.

I'll email my customer, HE may have taken pics of them to show his customer...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I'd appreciate that.

He got back to me, but said he took no pics but he says he thought they turned out great (but he always says that, lol)
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter