Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: new cnc not running as fast as advertised.

I will add to this: the only burned down compressor that I have owned was left on by mistake, had an airline valve failure, and even tho it was still running in the morning, was so hot that both the motor and compressor pump were shot.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Thanks Mark. Learning the manual coding is something I am working on.

One industrial compressor salesman said the weekend failure of a control is a test most eventually face and few of our light duty compressor's will survive a weekend running continuously. In some cases it leads to a bigger problem. I could not justify double the cost for an industrial grade machine, so I too am careful in this regard.

Agree'd. Like I say, this happened with a nearly brand new Quincy. Not a 100% duty screw but still a top of the line two stage, aftercooler, whole nine yards. My guess is it wouldnt have destroyed the compressor or burned the shop down but it'd likely have taken a lot of life out of the compressor. Thankfully it did happen on a Saturday during work. Sounded like an automatic machine gun going off in the compressor bay lol. My local compressor rep (bought there) was out Monday and diagnosed, patched us through til Tuesday when they came back and fixed it under warranty. I never forget to shut the compressor and drier down anymore lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I would be a little leery of leaving the compressor on to keep air to the cnc The printing company I cut for let the air on for their big printer and a line blew over the weekend and the compressor over heated and started a fire.
    I have heard of that happening too. I turn my compressor off but I don't drain the air.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    Not going to mention company of my cnc because still working with them but my question is i bought new cnc and on the web page in specs they list ipm at 1500 rapid travel... got my new machine set up and running and in dealing with company on another issue tech was in the ini file and max speed was set at 800. I already knew from using cnc that max cut speed was 400 in X & Y and 150 Z. guess wondering if i have a gripe or am expecting to much. when i was talking to sale person definitely mentioned i liked the speed this cnc traveled at. Kind of feeling i was lied to...
    FWIW...I've purchased three new metal cutting CNC machines over the years. None of them performed exactly to the advertised specs.

Without knowing anything about your CNC, I'd say 1500 ipm is pretty fast. Does your machine have servos or open loop steppers? If the stepper type you may be better off keeping it to the low speeds so as not to risk losing steps.

while ago we had talk about leaving air on in shop in this thread. well today went out in shop and heard compressor running. checked the drain valve off the like and man soon as touched the valve it became 2 pieces.. good thing was in shop to close main air line valve. the 2 stage 80 gallon compressor would of had work out...

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    while ago we had talk about leaving air on in shop in this thread. well today went out in shop and heard compressor running. checked the drain valve off the like and man soon as touched the valve it became 2 pieces.. good thing was in shop to close main air line valve. the 2 stage 80 gallon compressor would of had work out...
    That is why I have a relay to shut power off to the compressor when I shut the lights off

Jerome, how big is the breaker on your compressor? I've always thought of relaying our compressor circuit but never looked to see how much a relay would cost. We have a shutdown routine (manual) to shutoff the dryer, auto condensate blow off, compressor, and main line ball valve off the tank. Its be cool to have that all done with the flip of a switch.

It is a 30 amp unit for my 5HP 80 gallon unit. I also have a solenoid to shut the air off at the tank both are on the same circuit.

I will have to do some looking around. Im guessing it may be cost prohibitive. We are feeding the compressor and accessories on a 100 amp sub. 80A for the compressor, 20 for the dryer and auto tank drain. I looked at solenoid valves a long while back and it seemed most were rated at 145PSI. Were running 175psi mains. Sounds like your setup is just what we were thinking. I suppose shutting it all down manually isnt that bad if the relay for 100A and solenoid would get spendy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I will have to do some looking around. Im guessing it may be cost prohibitive. We are feeding the compressor and accessories on a 100 amp sub. 80A for the compressor, 20 for the dryer and auto tank drain. I looked at solenoid valves a long while back and it seemed most were rated at 145PSI. Were running 175psi mains. Sounds like your setup is just what we were thinking. I suppose shutting it all down manually isnt that bad if the relay for 100A and solenoid would get spendy.

Thanks

How big is your compressor 80 amps seems like a lot. My solenoid valve is rated to 250 psi

Compressor is a 7.5HP Quincy MAX. Run amperage is 40A but Quincy spec's an 80A Breaker. The dryer is 15A and auto tank drain is less than an amp. That said, to meet spec we'd have to relay the whole lot which is why we just sent a dedicated 100A to the compressor bay.