Thread: Homemade Vacuum Chucks and Adapters

Homemade Vacuum Chucks and Adapters

It was requested in another thread that I post photo of my homemade vacuum chucks and am doing so showing the 1" chucks only. I have a similar set of 1-1/4" thread chucks, but not the smaller sizes. I use a PVC glue coupling that is epoxy set in a Bealle threaded wood section. The coupling is chucked up and ends trued with a scraper prior to setting in the wood and then trued again after gluing. I use adhesive backed foam from craft section of Walmart or other craft stores and also have some thicker adhesive back foam from McMaster Carr. I saw at SWAT that you can cut the foam oversize and fold over and use masking tape to shape the outside down to the PVC and that works better than just adhesive to the face. The grey foam is flat disk for small pieces with flat rim. I do a lot of natural edge pieces and often need a longer chuck to be able to have clearance with the jagged edge and deeper section, but use the livecenter for support until the final cuts.ATTACH=CONFIG]347318[/ATTACH][

The adapters shown are for my Powermatic 3520B and Nova Comet II which have different IDs and came about after looking at some here at SMC when I bought my Frugal Vac. They are made using a section of lamp thread that has the thread filed down to 3/8" to attach bearing, and a section of wood glued to outside similar to a pen, and then turned using a pen mandrel to turn wood to correct OD and a shoulder with groove for a "O"ring to give better seal. I added a ring of painter blue tape to get a better fit on one adapter since my OD was slightly off. The bearing is glued to wood section again with epoxy and a section of all thread to attach the vacuum hose. I found the hose furnished with my Frugal Vacuum was same as some of the air hose at Northern Tool and other stores. I have been threading the adapter into the hose instead of just shoving the thread into the hose and seem to get a good seal without damaging the hose by pushing/pulling the thread section.Homemade Vac Adapter.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks for posting