Thread: Help Identifying some Hand Saws

Help Identifying some Hand Saws

I've been looking for a decent handsaw for a while and never seem to see anything around where I'm at. Made a trip home to my mother's place and was able to find my dad's old hand saws and plan to take them home with me. Whether I'm able to make them into good users or not is immaterial. They were Dad's and I'll think of him every time I look at them.

However, if I can get them into usable working order, that's what I'm going to do.

Was looking for some assistance from those more knowledgable than I in determining what I have here.

I believe the first one is a Disston D-8 IMG_1003.jpg IMG_1002.jpg I'm confident that the handle is beech and believe it to be from the late 40's, early 50's era. It's filed crosscut and has a very slight bend in one area when sighting down the teeth on the saw. I can make out a bit of the etch on the blade but it will take some cleaning up before I'm able to glean any more info there. Any additional opinions/corrections are welcome.

The other saw is a bit rougher shape. It may have been given to dad by either his father, or my mother's father. IMG_1005.jpg IMG_1004.jpg As you can see, the medallion is missing, it looks like there replaced a missing saw nut with whatever fit and I'm not able to discern any type of etch whatsoever. I believe the handle to be made of apple and you can see in the pictures everything else. It is also filed crosscut. Looking on the Disstonian Institute, I don't know that it matches anything. Don't know if it's even a Disston. Hence, my inquiry to you out there with more knowledge than I.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Clint

If you clean them up, the etch may be more visible. I have cleaned several rusty plates with WD-40 and a fine sanding sponge, and had an etch appear.

Don't forget the trick of using a ball of aluminum foil with metal polish. I think it would be safer to use,as it will not sag down into the blade etch and serve to more quickly eradicate it.

Looks like a Atkins #59. It's a second line saw sold under the brand Sheffield Saw Works. Would have had a warranted superior medallion on it, not an atkins. (Page 23 of the handsaw catalog collection book by Astragal Press 1994.)

A few days ago I bought Stanley 20-045 15-Inch Fat Max Hand Saw and other a pole saw. Both working great to me. You can check Stanley hand saw for your work.

If that is an Atkins, it is a fine saw and worth rehab and use. I have several.

The D8 goes without saying. Sharp it up and make it go!

Tried looking at a few images of the Atkins 59 from their catalogs and they don't have a similar handle. Blackburn tools showed one on his site and it definitely looks closer. I still see some small differences between the one I have and the one he shows. Should it be a very close match?

Again, looking for someone with more knowledge who might help.

Thanks

Clint

Yours is an older saw, the newer totes get plainer and plainer. Atkins Catalog No 19 1923 All 188 MB_0222.jpg