Thread: Chicken' Neckin'

Chicken' Neckin'

Made this for my best friend. For those of you who know blue claw crab and chicken' Neckin' you will understand. For the rest of you we'll for sorry, for a moment or two. Walnut, hickory, and basswood.
    Jim
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Blog Entries
    A thoughtful gift that is sure to remind them of you every time they open their haul.

Isn't Missouri a long way from Chesapeake Bay? Or do those crabs also live around your area?

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-12-2016 at 7:27 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A thoughtful gift that is sure to remind them of you every time they open their haul.

Isn't Missouri a long way from Chesapeake Bay? Or do those crabs also live around your area?

jtk
    I grew up there Jim. When I was healthier went back several times a year. This friend and I met at about 8 years old and have chicken necked for blue claws all of that time. Those days we had a couple of inner tubes, a couple of bushel baskets some Mason's string, a dip net, and of course chicken necks that our moms saved for us. One tube for yourself one for the basket and your good to go. Kept us out of trouble and provided good eating to boot. Only crayfish here. Not even close.
    Jim

I believe Chicken Neckin has taken place around the world since man started walking upright. Maybe not with the inner tube accessory and Mason brand string, but chicken neckin all the same. They do make an art of it in the Chesapeake Bay though. Nice "pounders" and an even better friend James.
    David

Spent many a sunny afternoon with the kids chicken neckin' the mouth of the river near Yorktown, Va back in the day. That's as fine a set of utensils as I've ever seen. He's gonna love them.

Haven't ever done it. But then, I grew up in Detroit. Outside the city and upriver there was good crayfish hunting. Inside...not so much, haha.

Thanks David. It was a fun build and I know he and his family will enjoy
    Jim

Thank you Ted. Been in that area many times. It is great fun. My kids that live in the east go to Uncles house most years. The grandkids are learning the tricks now. I understand it's the highlight of their visits now.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Canaday View Post
    Haven't ever done it. But then, I grew up in Detroit. Outside the city and upriver there was good crayfish hunting. Inside...not so much, haha.
    Glen try it out if you get the chance someday. At least go to one of the crab houses and eat some blue claws. It's fun too. They just throw down some newsprint and dump a mess of steamed crabs in the middle and you dig in.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Very nice work Jim! That is the way to eat crabs!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Very nice work Jim! That is the way to eat crabs!
    Thank you Brian. I thought you may chime in here. After all your in the area also.
    Jim