Thread: Preserving a Stanley tote decal.

Preserving a Stanley tote decal.

I recently picked up a very nice 608C. It's in outstanding condition, with little or no wear on the tote or knob, and the decal on the tote is about 95% intact. I plan to use this plane whenever necessary, but since I'm not first and foremost a Neander, it won't get daily use (and I also have a 607). I'd like to preserve the decal; short of installing a replacement tote and hiding the original away, is there any safe clear coat I can put over it? I know clear lacquer will probably wreck the decal, but how about an acrylic clear coat?

Thanks

If the tote is in really super shape, I think I would vote for a replacement (but I'm not a collector, or an expert). Is the tote identical to the Bailey totes? If so, I would think you could get a nice one for just a few bucks....

Yes, Bedrock and Bailey totes are identical; I was thinking along those lines.

Blog Entries
    short of installing a replacement tote and hiding the original away
    If the interest is in sparing the collector value of the tote/plane replacement is the only way.

My memory recalls the original coating on a Stanley tote as being shellac, not sure on that. Maybe a touch of alcohol on a spot that won't show might confirm this.

My planes tend to be valued for their usability over their collectability.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My planes tend to be valued for their usability over their collectability.

jtk
    Mine as well, but if any of my type 1 Millers Falls still had a decal on the tote, believe me that the first thing I'd do is swap out a replacement. I've personally never seen their decal on anything prior to the 1950s.

The original decals on any brand's products in this business are rare enough that each example of them warrants preservation, I think. As it's also a 608C in question I think that replacement is the only right way in this case. Your plane OP, but I wouldn't trust myself to refin it!

I believe the original finish was laquer. I tend to lean to collector value. Not for the value, but for the preservation of history. I'd put a temporary replacement on it as well.
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

'Sup, Don!

. ...
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

OK, a replacement tote it is. I have a box full of parts somewhere (I'm in the middle of moving) so there's a good chance I have a spare tote or parts of one; if not, I have a copy of the Lee Valley templates so I can make one if necessary.