Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who Remembers ___________________

I buy Hostess Shoe string potatoes all the time in any grocery store...

Blog Entries
    Schwepp's bitter lemon and bitter orange. I liked the bitter lemon with rum.

Denison's lima beans and ham, haven't seen those in stores for a long time.

There are a lot of local beers that disappeared over time. Some survive in name only as their naming rights were picked up by others. Not sure if Olympia beer still exists. Same with originals like Hamms or Lucky Lager. I think the names may still exist. Most of them were not beers of my liking. One of those would be Mackison's Triple Stout, haven't seen that in ages either. It was thick enough to use as pancake syrup.

Any one remember Seven Up candy bars? There were seven different items separately covered in chocolate. Many other candy bars that have disappeared over the years, many of which I can not recall the names. Every once and a while I see Mountain Bars, Brown & Hailey makes them daily, but they are not the same.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Real Milk in a bottle with cream on top
    You can still find non-homogenized milk, but not many places. With non-homogenized milk, the milk under the cream is pretty much skim milk. You'd have to shake the milk to mix the skim and the cream before using. Otherwise, the first user of the bottle would get the cream and the rest would be stuck with skim milk.

You can understand why most people prefer homogenized milk.

BTW, milk is homogenized by physically breaking up the cream globules. See here for a description.

Mike

[Yes, I remember non-homogenized milk and the problems of getting the bottom of the bottle. We milked our own cows and my mother would take most of the cream to make butter. I had to get up before school to milk cows. You can understand why I went to college.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-13-2016 at 1:03 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kieve View Post
    Anyone remember NuGrape? Best tasting grape soda around. I just googled it and it's still available.
    Well maybe second best, compared to Grapette. Remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    At least we can still find Spam.
    Yes, it's most likely the same cans that were around when we were small children...what is the shelf life of it? A hundred years?

I totally forgot about shoestring fries - I used to love them! They didn't last long around the house though.

If your local store is out of Spam you can always borrow a can from the the local jail.

I miss 5th avenue candy bars. They still make them, but they used to have almonds on top and that made all the difference.
    Don't forget the struggle Don't forget the streets

I remember hearing about Grape Nehi from the sitcom MASH. Didn't Radar claim that was the best grape drink?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    At least we can still find Spam.
    For some reason, Spam is extremely popular in Hawaii. They make all kind of Spam dishes.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Schwepp's bitter lemon and bitter orange. I liked the bitter lemon with rum.jtk
    Jim! Yes on Bitter Lemon. I've asked at all the major liquor stores in the area for years, and no one carries it or will order it. Had not heard of Bitter Orange, so now gotta have some of that too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I remember hearing about Grape Nehi from the sitcom MASH. Didn't Radar claim that was the best grape drink?
    Still out there down here. Just bought some grage and orange NeHi a couple weeks ago.

Ever the contrarian, there are things I wish would go away.

Like Peeps.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

How about blackjack gum and the soda fountains are gone so you can't get egg creams anymore
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Ale-8 & Double Cola are my favorites from years gone by.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 11-14-2016 at 9:23 AM.