Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who Remembers ___________________

Blog Entries
    In a reply to another thread about pencil holders this became a forehead slapper:

100_7292.jpg

I recall when they started using jars with twist off lids, but I do not recall the last time seeing Dundee Orange Marmalade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    For some reason, Spam is extremely popular in Hawaii. They make all kind of Spam dishes.
    When SWMBO and I eloped there, we discovered that. We heard it was in no small part due to the cost of shipping meat; it's all brought by cargo ship or plane, and Spam keeps a lot longer, so it's cheaper. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As an aside, I had Spam again recently and found it seemed far fattier than it was when I was a kid. (Military brats eat a lot of Spam, it seems, and I was no exception.) Maybe I've just got a more refined palate now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Jim! Yes on Bitter Lemon. I've asked at all the major liquor stores in the area for years, and no one carries it or will order it.
    I have found it in grocery stores in the 'mixers' section with tonic water, etc. I've even seen it in a grocery store in far SW Virginia!

d
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Reese's Butterscotch Cups. Just like peanut butter cups, but butterscotch on the outside instead of chocolate. As a kid, I could eat a dozen without even thinking about it. Come to think of it, I did eat a dozen.............once. Sick for a few days after. But boy were they the best.

[QUOTE
    I have found it (Bitter Lemon) in grocery stores in the 'mixers' section with tonic water, etc. I've even seen it in a grocery store in far SW Virginia!
    d[/QUOTE]

I know it still exists (common in Europe), just not carried by any local distributors, including grocery stores. I look for it when out of town, but still rarely find it.

I grew up with, and happen to like Spam. Preferably with a glass of Tang.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    On the floor where it belongs!!
    Yeah, that way you wouldn't have to stop texting with both thumbs!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    And if you are a bit older you might recall the larger button/pedal over by the gas pedal for the starter.

jtk

Yep, I remember that.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We have them in a bag like potato chips.

What I miss is Temagami Dry Ginger Ale..................Rod.

I remember some old sitcoms including the Andy Griffith show and a few years later All in the Family and Barney Miller.

Life before McDonalds, KFC and other high fat American fast foods entered Australia. Cholesterol killers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    At least we can still find Spam.
    When I lived in Kauai you could even go into a CVS and see Spam sitting literally by the pallet in many flavors. I remember the first time I saw it and was stunned, I knew they love their Spam but pallet loads... in a drug store???
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Who remembers Plymouths with automatic transmission push buttons on the dash?
    When I was 3 or 4 (so a long time ago) we had a station wagon with pushbutton transmission. I was playing in the car one day and evidently put it in neutral. Car rolled slowly down the slight slope of the drive, crossed the road, rolled into neighbors yard and stopped in a bit of a ditch. I remember nothing of it of course, but my Mom told the story many times about how lucky I was because it was a busy street (for the time, nothing like today I'm sure).

That was the first in my long history of getting into trouble by pushing buttons

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    The Almond Snickers is close to the original Mars bar (except in physical shape), but I don't think it is identical. The Mars was fluffier or lighter (probably more air whipped into the nugget). But still the Almond Snickers is better than nothing. Modern "Mars" bars sold in some ethnic stores and also available in Europe are virtually identical to our current Milky Way bars.

Guess this way a long winded way to say my favorite missing item is the Mars bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post

Who remembers Plymouths with automatic transmission push buttons on the dash?
    I remember those buttons on the model that had the big fins.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I remember some old sitcoms including the Andy Griffith show and a few years later All in the Family and Barney Miller.
    Some really old sitcoms were "Topper", "I Love Lucy", "Amos and Andy"

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    The other thing I miss is General Mills JETS breakfast cereal. I used to snack on it out of the box while watching Captain Midnight on TV.