Thread: Hand tools - ripsaw selection and method

Hand tools - ripsaw selection and method

Hello

New to the forum and dont have a lot of experience. I am working on a project where I need to make very clean straight rip cut in 1-3/4 white oak. The cut has to be 4" deep/long. So far, trying on scraps I am finding that my cheap Japanese pull style rip saw wanders off and it tries to follow the wood grain. This happens on the far end of the cut. The side facing me stays pretty straight.

I tried electric jigsaw with the brand new T308 Bosch blade, guided against a clamped fence and the symptom is very similar. The bottom of the cut wanders off toward the grain.

I will have to either purchase a good quality push or pull saw for this task. This leaves me with a question, which one would be most suitable for cutting through thick hardwood stock?

p.s. With the pull saw I did try the technique of flipping cutting sides and also first making long acute angle cuts along the line before cutting more perpendicular. These methods helped somewhat but the very thin .020 steel seem to be overpowered by the grain.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!
    Last edited by Val Vechnyak; 11-15-2016 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Typos

Is this a one time job? If so, a good quality western rip saw would be my choice. If you're going to do multiples, a band saw would be best.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    Pull saws do not get much work in my shop. I have Disston rip saws that will do the trick.

I also rip on a band saw as well