Thread: Thanks, Derek!

Thanks, Derek!

Derek -

I wanted to say thanks, you've saved me some work and given me an idea of how to deal with the workshop I'm trying to set up.

I posted in April that I'm trying to get one set up, work/travel delayed that and I'm now getting to it. One of the reasons I haven't done much to date is that the basement is finished, and for some odd reason, the former owners had an 8.5" 'shelf' wrapping the room about 16-18" off the floor. I've been trying to figure out if I need to remove it all or just in some areas and just haven't had any inspiration. When looking at your bench build, you kept your bench away from the wall so you could plane across it and not hit the wall. You also put up tool trays in that area.

I've decided that is exactly how I will handle things. I'll plan on the bench being close to / against that "shelf" and will install tool trays under the window in the gap between wall and bench.

So...THANKS! Having made a decision, I hope to find things start moving a lot faster now!

Best regards,

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

When you're starting the first version of your shop, and later ones, too, it does help to look at other folks' shops.

I am hoping to buy a house we've found that has an 8x16 outbuilding that's heated and finished. I want to tear out the carpet and lay t&g hardwood flooring down to make it my shop. Fingers are crossed!

I'll be following you hemming and hawing about layout should we be successful.

All the best with the build, Daniel. It is very exciting setting up a new shop ... finally getting to put into practice all those ideas that have been distilling for so long. I would not change the position of my bench, and the work process .. well, it works for me.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Just got around to reading my November issue of Popular Woodworking Derek. Stunning chair. Really inspirational stuff.

Thanks Dan.

Regards from Perth

Derek