Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This one is for the old guys.

This one is for the old guys.

Rich Riddle seems to have a lock on 'Remember when' threads, but I am gonna beat him on this one.

Actually, I have two, but the second one can wait.

Remember When.........cars had the starter button in different places? Like my mom's 52 Packard, where you turned on the key and floored the accelerator to push the button?

I can think of at least half a dozen other methods, how about you?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

My dad was a chief land surveyor. He had a big blue camper like work truck that had the starter located on the floorboard left of the clutch. I once drove it around the block on the starter motor and didn't even get caught, lol. I told him about it years later. We wouldn't be having this conversation if he had caught me at the time...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

SAAB had it between the seats. My Dad had a an old Chev that had the accelerator between the brake and the clutch, does that count?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    What about cars with multiple clutches?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The smaller Ford Tractors ( 5N ?) where the gear shift had an "S" spot. You'd slide the shifter over to it, depress the clutch, and then push the shifter down to start it up

The Jeeps I drove in the Army ( BEFORE the Hum-vs) had a dimmer switch-like button on the floor. You had to push the clutch in to tap the buttom. There was a switch on the dash as well, thay had to be flipped to the right spot......didn't need a key...

I remember a Studebaker that had a pushbutton gear shift on the dashboard.....just to the left of the stearing wheel?

My first truck was a Datsun I had to start it with a screw driver by holding it across the end of the starter solenoid.I did finally buy a new starter.I was earning a 100 a week roofing and cigs were 75 cents a pack.
    Am I old enough ?
    Aj

75 cents? You're either a young'un or on one of the coast's... when I was in high school they were 35 cents in the vending machines!

back to starters, my uncle/grandpa/dad's (never did know who's it actually was) '48 Ford pickup had the starter pedal next to the gas pedal.

And for years-- I'm thinking '55 thru '64-- you didn't need a key to start a Chevy unless you actually locked the ignition switch.
    (Possibly other GM cars but I'm not sure about those.)

And speaking of things besides starter buttons on the floor-- who else remembers getting into their friend's or relative's '59 Pontiac Super 98 and could NOT figure out how the radio was changing stations by itself?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Rick,

Saying this one is for the old guys in the Creek is not very exclusionary. It's like going in the OWWM site and saying, "this is for the guys who like old American tools." Most of us are eligible for AARP.

Dunno about this old guy stuff but Dad used to cart wood for the brick kilns in winter on his '48 Chev. He welded a rod to the foot button starter to the left of the clutch pedal so that he could hill start from a stall without growing extra limbs.

Its funny how one's perspective changes. The old man died in 1970 when his truck was 22 years old. I always thought of it as an ancient relic. Now in 2016 I have a 1985 truck and a 1986 Range Rover that are 31 and 30 years old respectively and I don't consider them old. I have had much newer cars but they are worn out and the old girls are still going.

Old is my 1952 David Brown tractor which has a seat for 2 and all the pedals on the right hand side. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I rebuilt a 1929 Model A and would occasionally use the crank to start it. That always drew a crowd.

Rich.........I have kids eligible for AARP. One has your Mickey Mouse watch.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Another one...

OK, I will throw in a weird one. Several British cars I have had used a starter button on the dash, which you pulled, rather than pushed. Austin Healey, MG, etc.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    OK, I will throw in a weird one. Several British cars I have had used a starter button on the dash, which you pulled, rather than pushed. Austin Healey, MG, etc.
    I still have one of those. 1950 MG TD. Right hand drive as well.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 11-16-2016 at 12:00 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I don't remember the type of car but when I was about age 4, we lived in a complex that had two small houses. They were 1 bedroom/living room/kitchen combination with a bathroom. There were two of them. Parking was in an area next to the other house of the two. Outside, I was supposed to be playing with my firetruck, when I climbed in my Dad's car and began pushing the starter button on the dash. After I bumped into our neighbors house a time or two, he came out and ratted me out to my parents.

I didn't do it again.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....