Thread: Granddaughter's Christmas Present

Granddaughter's Christmas Present

Well I'm getting ready to start on a Christmas present for my 7yr old granddaughter. I saw this Old Fashioned Music Box in January's issue of Woodworker's Journal and knew it'd be perfect. I'm planning on making the box from curly maple, and the inner components from Jatoba. The plans are set up for it to play "Heart & Soul" but I didn't care for that so I contacted a friend of mine who is a professional musician & composer. My son is in upper management for the Colorado Rockies so they are a very baseball oriented family. So... I had my friend re-code the drum to play "Take Me Out to the Ballgame". Below are links to the plan & a video on making the drum. I'll post photos along the way.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ol...ned-music-box/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZPAj9ofbbQ
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Stew, that will be a great Christmas present for your granddaughter! I'm looking forward to the build photos.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Really nice concept. I have never seen a music box like that.

Just to let you know, I have not simply forgotten to post on my progress and upload build photos. I was quite sick and in and out of the hospital for over a month. I am much better now, although certainly not 100% yet, and have had to put the music box aside for the moment in order to finish up a Makore veneered Hall Table for a charity auction coming up in a couple of weeks.

The Christmas present has become a birthday gift. I will definitely post updates and photos as I begin working on it once again.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I'm glad you are on the mend. Best wishes!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney