Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Advice on a music systems for the woodshop

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    Thanks Mike.....you nailed it...woodworking is my hobby so no concern about the mortgage from that standpoint. I find that I like to listen to live performances on Youtube as well as full albums of various artists. No plans for a recliner in my shop.

Do you have a recommendation for a soundbar?

Cheers, bob
    Well, I don't have a sound bar, but I would like one for my shop. I can tell you just make sure not to go real cheap with it. I have heard good things about the Vizio ones, but have never experienced them. One very important thing for this purchase: Make sure that your TV has "optical audio output" and that your sound bar has "Optical audio input". That's the best way to do sound, and it's actually a little fiber optic cable that you connect the two with - very cool stuff. see here: http://www.howtogeek.com/241828/what...ould-i-use-it/

When I shop for stuff, I almost always go to Amazon to see which products are most popular. For example, https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=sound+bar is a search for sound bars, and I normally will look to see which product has the MOST reviews. That's a good signal to me, and then out of the products with the most reviews, I just make sure it has a high rating, generally 4.5 stars or more. Just make sure to get a sound bar which is comparable in size to the TV, otherwise it looks funny, but that's just me being picky.

In terms of TV's, You can't go wrong with a Vizio. They are attractively priced, and I've never heard a single bad thing about them. Originally, when Vizio first started, they had SONY guts inside the tv's. Not sure if they still do though. Just make sure it is a Smart TV(just means it has applications), with the applications you want, like Youtube, Pandora, etc. As someone else mentioned, if you get a TV that doesn't have those applications, you can always add an Amazon FireTV(about $100) box or equivalent, which will have everything you want.

Checklist:

- TV with the most reviews - preferably Smart TV - MUST HAVE optical audio output
    - Soundbar with most reviews - preferably same size as TV - MUST HAVE optical audio input
    - Optical audio cable
    - Possible TV box such as Amazon FireTV, AppleTV, Roku, etc.

Lemme know how it goes!

When I'm in the shop, I'm making noise, so sound quality isn't important. Volume is.
    This works great for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg z.jpg (91.9 KB, 16 views)

At our house if someone is awake there is probably music playing somewhere. We have a SONOSs Play:1 in the kitchen, and SONOS Connect in the living room. This arrangement allows us to listen to two different setups at one time. I ran RCA patch cords out of the Yamaha in the living room to the garage. I have a 100 watt Technics amp in the garage connected to Bose 201s. Been using this amp/speaker arrangement for about 15 years. The amp lives in an enclosed cupboard I built. I leave the amp on all the time and keep my glue next to it so it doesn't freeze if I turn off the heat in the garage. The SONOS is awesome. I have a laptop on a raised stand which I use for videos and SMC surfing etc. I can run the SONOS from the laptop or my phone. Have had the SONOS system for about a year and a half and we love it.

Kris

I find having an older iMac with a 27" screen computer in my basement shop incredibly valuable. I order supplies right when I think about them, look up topics on the Creek, and watch HD quality YouTube videos of sharpening techniques (D-Way lathe tools) or when trying a new project. The iMac also has an excellent wireless range and easily sees the wireless router 2 floors away at the other end of a large house. It also has all of my music on it, plays Pandora and Spotify and can play instructional DVDs or send music to my bluetooth headphones. I just place a cloth over the air vents and have not had a problem tho' I always have a Jet air cleaner running and religiously use my DC and shop vac when making dust. I must admit, while the computer is on whenever I'm in the shop, I only listen to music when puttering rather than trying to listen when machinery is on. I'm evidently loosing my hearing and use in-ear plugs AND sound dampening ear muffs when the tools are running. Starting to rethink how I do some of my woodworking and now buying more hand tools. Two ways to skin a cat!