Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listening to the radio via the internet in the shop

Listening to the radio via the internet in the shop

I want to stream radio audio, podcasts, etc.. in my shop. What hardware is out there that can connect to to our wifi?

You can certainly use your smart phone and probably your computer. I listen to radio on my smart phone.

If you use an iPhone, I know there are speakers that you plug your iPhone into and they can really fill a room with sound.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I use a laptop and use the headphone jack as my audio output that feeds in to a line level input on a old receiver to old speakers. Apples ITunes has thousands of radio feeds from all over the world, no real need for new software or hardware as long as you have wifi and a wifi device ie smartphone, tablet or computer. But with audio, one could go to extreme gear-up, it's a matter of what you seek. Used gear can fill holes very well.
    Last edited by Roger Nair; 11-16-2016 at 8:40 PM. Reason: typo

I stream Pandora into the shop with my iPod which is plugged into a bookshelf system. I haven't listened to over the air radio in years.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have an old receiver and speakers I plug my phone into and stream pandora, a local radio station, nprone, podcasts, etc.

I'd like to ditch the wire and get a Bluetooth setup though. We have a nice $40 BT speaker in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    I want to stream radio audio, podcasts, etc.. in my shop. What hardware is out there that can connect to to our wifi?
    I have a Bose stereo speaker in my shop. It has bluetooth so any audio that will play on my tablet or phone can go to the speaker. I also have a Creative bluetooth speaker and there is no comparison to the Bose sound quality.

Sorry, I have no experience with dedicated devices that connect to wifi and play just music. The TV I put in the shop to play DVDs and youtube has a music app that will work from wifi, but it would need a good speaker or speaker system added for quality.

JKJ

Does your wi fi reach the shop . if so an old pc or lap top with a blue tooth adapter ( cheap on Amazon)will work plus speakers of course.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I need some direction finding the radio stations in iTunes Roger Nair talks about up there.

All I seem to get is the Apple offer to buy Apple Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    I need some direction finding the radio stations in iTunes Roger Nair talks about up there.

All I seem to get is the Apple offer to buy Apple Music.
    No need to go through the confusing mess that is iTunes. I use a stand-alone Windows program called Radiosure. There's a freeware version, and a ten-buck version with some better features. http://www.radiosure.com/

From Apple are these instructions for Windows users for internet radio on iTunes.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH20363?locale=en_US

For Apple users there must be some think different magic but I suggest Google.

I get a fairly decent wi-fi signal in my attached garage shop and have been using Pandora and Spotify (I'm trying to figure out which one works best for me) for "live" broadcast music and Poweramp for playing tunes that are stored on my phone (an Android model). For volume and sound quality (to drown out any spontaneous singing), I play the music through a portable Bluetooth enabled speaker. It's pretty good most of the time, but occasionally the signal cuts out or the Bluetooth connection gets dropped.

Blog Entries
    There are some tabletop radio type things that connect with wifi. We have one and had spotty results. I would go with the phone option. Just be warned that it's going to drain your battery quickly.
    We are building a new house and part of my shop is beneath a floating concrete slab. I was delighted the other day to learn that my local NPR station comes in clear as a bell even under that slab. Sweeeet!

I used to use a Bluetooth speaker but it really drained my phone battery. Now I use a google chrome cast device plug into my radio. Battery lasts much much longer using the chrome cast. I think they are about $30.

The only thing is it wont work with apple iTunes so I use an app called AllCast for access to my music library. It works with pandora fine.

edited to add that chrome cast requires a wifi signal.

I have Ethernet cable run to all of my house and so set up a wireless router for the shop and garage. When I renewed my satellite radio for the car I added the ability to get Satellite Radio on my cell phone. I plug my cell phone into an old bookshelf system.

I really like the satellite radio and especially the old time radio shows.

Another option is to get a FM transmitter from the automotive dept at Walmart (about $14,) and plug it into head phone jack of what you are using as a tuner. Then use any FM radio to tune in the music. Range from transmitter, located in kitchen window is about 150', depending upon device.I use the NMH rechargables from from HF in transmitter. A set usually last about 40 hours. Transmitter take two AAA, and they are sold in sets of four. This means you always have a fresh set in the charger. My favorite is iHeart 50's.